Arundel

by Kenneth Roberts | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 8/10/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, August 10, 2017
Picked this up at a thrift store. Remember seeing it on a wishlist. Looks like an interesting read.

Arundel
Author: Kenneth Roberts

This is the classic series from Pulitzer Prize-winning historical novelist Kenneth Roberts, all featuring characters from the town of Arundel, Maine. Arundel follows Steven Nason as he joins Benedict Arnold in his march to Quebec during the American Revolution.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/5/2017 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending this one on to GoryDetails as a wishlist tag. I was thinking of reading this first but decided against it after reading a few pages. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 15, 2017
The book arrived safely today; many thanks! I've wanted to read this since I first learned about Arnold's march to Quebec in Through a Howling Wilderness; while Arundel is fiction, it's been highly recommended, and I look forward to reading it.

Later: I really did enjoy this - it's written in a lively style that brings in historical figures in a more personal light, and that sketches the lives of the settlers in pre-Revolutionary days with a clear look at how they viewed the political strife. It's also something of a love story, though narrator Steven is clueless for the majority of the book as to the fact that the marvelously tough and resourceful Phoebe - with whom he's had a snarky and insult-laden relationship since both were children - loves him. Steven becomes fixated on young Mary Mallinson after a flirtatious moment; they're both quite young, but he's still smitten, and when she's kidnapped by a dastardly Frenchman he vows to get her back. But he's still a child, and though his father leads a search, the fleeing party makes a clean getaway and Steven goes back home. (While Steven's not very aware when it comes to relationships, he's a good person, open-minded in matters other than Mary; among other things, he's happy to help Phoebe get a ship of her own to command, a rarity at the time, and he has a close friendship with an Abenaki youth and shows considerable respect for the ways of that tribe.)

I knew from early on that Mary was not the girl for Steven, but the truth went even farther - I won't spoil the details. But Steven doesn't find this out for ages, even though many of the other characters figure it out much earlier; Steven just refuses to believe them. (He's stubborn, but charming despite his cluelessness.) After he's grown, he still keeps an ear open for news of Mary, and that's part of what attracts him to Benedict Arnold's cause: he's heard that Mary might be in Quebec, and if they can only get there and defeat the English maybe he can rescue her!

The actual trek through the wilds of Maine - at the worst possible time of year for such a trip, and with the wrong equipment (against Steven's advice) - is deadly, as I had already learned from Through a Howling Wilderness, but here it includes characters we've come to know and love. By the time the survivors reach Quebec and then have to cope with actual combat, things don't look good for our heroes...

The conclusion is quite satisfactory as regards the main characters, though others don't come off as well - including Arnold, who despite his many talents and undoubted charisma has shown some serious flaws. But Steven and his closest friends make it home at last, just in time for the Revolutionary War {wry grin}.

Released 1 yr ago (7/1/2018 UTC) at Le Parc de Notre Renaissance Française in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on the mother-and-child statue in this park honoring the French-Canadian heritage of the region - appropriate for Canada Day. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***