A Lotus Grows in the Mud

by Goldie Hawn | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 055381687x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/12/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 12, 2017
I bought this from the fundraising bookshelves in the Bridge, the cafe within Gracious Street Methodist Church, this morning because I've long been a fan of this funny lady, it was being sold in a good cause, and because I aim to read at least two nonfictions a month, yet can't always being going for the serious stuff which this doesn't look to be . . .

Amazon Editorial Review: "With her trademark effervescence, Goldie delivers a personal look at private and powerful events that carried her through life: her father’s spontaneity; her mother’s courage; and the joy of being a daughter, a sister, a parent, and a lover. She writes about her childhood dreams of becoming a ballerina. She takes us on a tour of her go-go years in 1960s New York City, the phenomenon of TV’s Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In, her Oscar-winning debut in Cactus Flower and Hollywood stardom. She writes intimately about the challenges of love, anger and fear, and the importance of compassion and integrity. She speaks openly about her family, her partner Kurt Russell, her children; her faith, her curiosity for that which she doesn’t yet know, and her thirst for knowledge. Most of all, it is a trip back through a life well lived by a woman well loved."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 01, 2017
Disappointing, very disappointing! I enjoyed it, finding it interesting and entertaining when she's writing about her life, career and family - but unfortunately she insists on telling us what her life has taught her, ending every chapter with a some sort of sermon . . . . and that definitely wasn't so good as far as I'm concerned! I don't read self-help books and I didn't appreciate this sort of self-help preaching masquerading as a memoir, although, to be fair, she does give a warning in her Preface! Some of it's a platitude, so obvious it's not worth making a song and dance about - and some of it's just whacky, New Age stuff . . . . Weird!

Released 1 yr ago (12/5/2017 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

We enjoyed a trip into York to enjoy the Christmas lights and decorations this afternoon and I took the opportunity to swap a couple of BookCrossing books at the same time!

Well over a million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 over twelve million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!