corner corner All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries)

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries)
by Martha Wells |
Registered by Spatial of Arlington, Virginia USA on 7/25/2017

status (set by emmejo): available

Journal Entry 1 by Spatial from Arlington, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Picked up in a cute, interesting used bookstore called Hole in the Wall Books in Falls Church, VA. If you're ever passing through, stop in and check it out! They also have tons of used and new comics!

Journal Entry 2 by Spatial at Arlington, Virginia USA on Monday, September 11, 2017

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)All Systems Red by Martha Wells

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I ♡ Murderbot!

I thought it was likely that the only supplies we would need for DeltFall was the postmortem kind, but you may have noticed that when I do manage to care, I'm a pessimist.

I haven't enjoyed a book so much in quite some time! I didn't laugh-out-loud, but I sure did smile a lot! ♥ ♥ ♥

With its humans always getting into trouble, how's a mass-murdering android supposed to have time to watch its soaps?

Gurathin hesitated. "It's downloaded seven hundred hours of entertainment programming since we landed. Mostly serials. Mostly something called Sanctuary Moon." He shook his head, dismissing it. "It's probably using it to encode data for the company. It can't be watching it, not in that volume; we'd notice."

I snorted. He underestimated me.

Ratthi said, "The one where the colony's solicitor killed the terraforming supervisor who was the secondary donor for her implanted baby?"

Again, I couldn't help it. I said, "She didn't kill him, that's a fucking lie."

Ratthi turned to Mensah. "It's watching it."

Journal Entry 3 by Spatial at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, October 02, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/2/2017 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I'm putting this into the Round III Otherworldly Bookbox.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, October 05, 2017

This book rode to the end of the Otherworldly Book box.

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, November 10, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this slim book! Murderbot is one of the most interesting, complex-yet-fun characters I've come across lately. The concepts here are mostly on the dark side (corporate warfare, lack of autonomy, lack of safety oversight in corporate business, folks getting killed and maimed) but Murderbot's unique take on their world and wry sense of humor kept me glued to the page, sometimes letting a guilty little laugh escape. (I shouldn't be laughing at death, corporate greed, and social anxiety, and yet...) It's also very quotable, with plenty of quippy one-liners and even more amusing descriptions. I'm definitely going to have to copy down a few favorites before passing this volume on.