corner corner The Storyteller

The Storyteller
by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingLamillawing of Minsk, anywhere Belarus on 7/9/2017

status (set by dark-draco): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingLamillawing from Minsk, anywhere Belarus on Sunday, July 09, 2017

Paperback, ordered from BWB.

The book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Sunday, July 09, 2017

This is a replacement copy for the book gone MIA: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/14338777

Original comment from Nataliec7:

Hi There and welcome to bookcrossing!

Bookcrossing is a community of booklovers who want to share their books with the world. You have just found a free book and its yours to do with as you with. You can read it and pass it on, or keep it.

The BCID you entered is unique to this book.Please make a journal entry to say where you found the book, what you thought of it and where you release it. You can remain anonymous or you can become a member of bookcrossing (its free!). Please consider using Nataliec7 as your referring member if you join. Lets keep this book travelling to as many readers as possible.

My 2016 roundabout book. Hope you enjoy!

Order:
Alexotanil
earthcaroleanne
dark-draco
back to me

Journal Entry 3 by leahjett at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Found this in my mailbox this afternoon, will put this to the top of my TBR and get it out soon (:

Journal Entry 4 by leahjett at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Wednesday, August 23, 2017

This is the first World War II kind of narrative that I've ever read and I loved it!

Man. What more to say? I'm still kind of speechless. I knew the people suffered somewhat but I had no idea to which extent. This topic has been added to my sister homeschool curriculum.

Didn't much understand the ending. Hence 8/10 But still brilliant. Will send this to Billbooks asap (=

Journal Entry 5 by leahjett at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Friday, October 13, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/13/2017 UTC) at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

Sent this last week but forgot to journal. Happy travels!

Journal Entry 6 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Thursday, March 01, 2018

Finally read this book and really enjoyed it. Mainly I'd like to apologise for holding things up but sadly around September last year my partner has started the early stages of dementia. Naturally this changed our lives and it has taken quite a while to settle back into as much as a routine as possible. Even more sad we had planned to go to Bordeaux this year but have had to cancel the trip. I was so looking forward to meeting so many of you. Fingers crossed that in 2019 I will be back on track and rejoin the favourite round about as I really enjoyed most of the books that have been circulated. Getting back to reading again has been a real joy - now of to Icila

Journal Entry 7 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, March 15, 2018

Thank you Billbooks. It's so sad what you go through, I really hope that life w'll improve for you one way or another and I mean it.

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Nobody is entirely black or white considering the situation, is that the meaning in the ending ?.

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, April 06, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (4/6/2018 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Fifna in The Netherlands.

Journal Entry 10 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 14, 2018

It has arrived here. I usually like Jodi Picoult's books, so looking forward to reading it. It will have to wait, as I've just received the next book in this year's roundabout. But I'll get to it ASAP.

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, May 11, 2018

I've read a lot of books about the Holocaust, but it never gets any easier to read about the evil that people can do to each other.

Picoult does a decent job here. The coincidental nature of the way the modern-day characters were brought together wasn't really to my liking. But the rest of the story is well drawn and seems to be well researched. But, if you're going to use German phrases, get someone to proofread them - there were typos, which defeats the point. I also didn't care much for Leo's Europe-bashing, implying that Europe didn't do much to bring Nazi war criminals to justice and that the US was having to step in and act as the world's conscience. But then that might just be modern-day politics speaking.

The main drawback, as always with Picoult, was the ending. I know she wants to provoke debate, but I felt the rest of the book was a good enough basis for that. Careful reading revealed the final twist way before it happened. And yet there would have been a much more subtle way to reveal it, through one of Jozef's comments.

But all in all it was a good read.

Journal Entry 12 by wingFifnawing at Pallini, Attica Greece on Friday, May 11, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (5/11/2018 UTC) at Pallini, Attica Greece

Travelling to alexotanil.

Journal Entry 13 by alexotanil at Pallini, Attica Greece on Friday, June 08, 2018

Just received it. I haven't read anything by Picoult before but I've heard she's quite good so I'm looking forward to read the story.

Journal Entry 14 by alexotanil at Pallini, Attica Greece on Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Well, I always find it difficult to read about the Holocaust. Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy this book as much as I would like to. Theme-wise it was not for me at this time of year probably.

Journal Entry 15 by alexotanil at By Post in Pallini, Attica Greece on Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (10/3/2018 UTC) at By Post in Pallini, Attica Greece

I apologise for how long it took me to finish this book. Finally on its way to earthcaroleanne.

Journal Entry 16 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 06, 2018

Arrived today but I've already read it. Here's what I said:-

A very readable and graphic novel of Nazi Hunter and details of 'life' in Auschwitz. This is a book that, at times, makes uncomfortable reading because of its subject matter. Not a cheery read for the most part but it kept me reading.

Journal Entry 17 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 15, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (10/15/2018 UTC) at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom

On it's way in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 18 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 18, 2018

Received today - thank you.

Journal Entry 19 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 07, 2018

I had to get up early this morning just to finish off the last few pages - this is a very good read!

The subject matter isn't easy to read and somehow shouldn't make a good background for a work of fiction, but it does. There's three viewpoints here, plus a sidestep into a story within a story, and while I normally hate shifting between characters, here it really works. From Sage, who is struggling with her own demons and is suddenly the unwilling confessor for Josef, to Leo, the erstwhile lawyer working to bring some justice into the world, they both see the situation in a slightly different light and deal with slightly different conflicts. But it's Minka's story that is the most poignant and, I hate to admit it, the most fascinating. How she managed to survive both during and after the war makes a compelling read.

Definitely recommended and looking forward to reading more by this author.