The Bridegroom Was a Dog

by Yoko Tawada | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 7/9/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, July 09, 2017
I bought this book at The Write Bookshop in St. Catherine's, Ontario, Canada. This wonderful bookshop is owned by friends of mine. It was a delight to visit this used book store during my trip to Ontario to celebrate Canada's sesquicentennial.

Inscribed in this book, I found...

J___:
Here's to your last year
in your twenties.
Here's to Saturn return.
Here's to a cute little
redhead.
love,
A______

This was quite an interesting little book. It contains three short stories (or may be brief novellas?) which had me quite confused at the outset. All of the stories were strange with the narration going off on many tangents. The first story I found disquieting, but the second story I found fun. By the last story, I was already used to the writer's talented method of storytelling so that the disjuncture of the stories no longer bothered me. In fact, I thought the last story was very beautiful.

Briefly, the first story (The Bridegroom was a Dog) was about a cram school teacher, the second story (Missing Heels) was about a mail-order bride, and the last story (The Gotthard Railway) was about a train ride in a tunnel. In the middle of reading this book, I asked myself. "What?! What did I just read?" By the end of this book, however, I felt ready to try more work by this author. The writing is confusing, funny, beautiful, and perceptive all at the same time. How can this be? You'll have to read this book to find out. The writing is unlike any other book I've read so I have nothing with which to compare it.

----------------------------------

I'm releasing this book for...

***The 2019 You're Such an Animal Release Challenge hosted by Secretariat. The title of this wild release contains the word DOG.

----------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, September 21, 2019

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, October 28, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (10/28/2019 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book to my dental hygienist! :D

----------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!