corner corner Cthulhu's Reign

Cthulhu's Reign
by Darrell Schweitzer | Horror
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/8/2017

status (set by AlterEgoZoe): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 08, 2017

I found this good-condition paperback at a local thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy.

My experience with anthologies of Cthulhu-Mythos-themed stories has been mixed, to say the least; for every decent story there seem to be several that really miss the mark! But the good ones are worth looking for, as in this collection of stories based on the idea that the stars finally are right, Cthulhu has risen, and the Old Ones are returning.

I enjoyed nearly all of the stories, but a few stood out for me:

"The Walker in the Cemetery" features a busload of tourists finding themselves trapped in an ancient cemetery by the arrival of eldritch horrors.

"Sanctuary" is a dark tale about a world in which the Old Ones have returned and taken charge, focusing on a handful of characters who've survived - so far - amid post-apocalyptic circumstances, with the knowledge that it will only get worse.

"Ghost Dancing" features one man driving through New England, in flight from the destruction of the world.

"This is How the World Ends" has the rising seas send hordes of Things onto the land.

"The Shallows", perhaps the most disturbing story here (for me, anyway), has a man trying to maintain some semblance of daily life, despite the great change that's occurred - and the losses he's sustained. In keeping with some of the other stories, this one suggests that there really is no escape. {shudder}

"The Seals of New R'lyeh" has something of a dark-humor note, with a pair of guys exploring the ruins.

"Nothing Personal" is set on a spaceship, and features a scientist attempting one final counterstrike against Yuggoth.

And "Remnants", by Fred Chappell, has a family trying to survive in the wilderness, despite periodic mind-sweeps by the Old Ones - and with the tantalizing hope that there might possibly be a way out.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 15, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (7/17/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this into the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, July 22, 2017

Took out of the otherworldly bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, March 03, 2018

With anthologies I skip around to stories and titles that sound interesting. I wasn’t a particularly a fan of any of the stories, but was an ok read.