Sunshine on Scotland Street

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winglukutuoliwing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 7/3/2017
Journal Entry 1 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, July 03, 2017
From the back cover:

"Scotland Street witnesses the wedding of the century of Angus Lordie to Domenica Macdonald, but as the newlyweds depart on honeymoon Edinburgh is in disarray. Recovering from the trauma of being best man, Matthew is taken up by a Dane called Bo, while Cyril eludes his dog-sitter and embarks on an odyssey involving fox-holes and the official residence of a cardinal. Narcissist Bruce meets his match in the form of a sinister doppelganger; Bertie, set up by his mother for fresh embarrassment at school, yearns for freedom; and Big Lou goes viral. But the residents of Scotland Street rally, and order - and Cyril - is restored by the combined effects of understanding, kindness, and, most of all, friendship."

I had a possibility to visit Edinburgh this week and had to go and see if 44 Scotland Street exists :) Perhaps not, but the street with it's Little Free Library was lovely. I had to buy a couple of books by this favourite author of mine as a souvenir. The atmosphere of the bookshop Blackwell was something I can't forget.

Journal Entry 2 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, July 16, 2018
I bought this 8th part of this brilliant and human series from Edinburgh last summer. I had to visit the lovely Scotland Street just to find out there's no number 44 in real life :)
It's always relaxing to read about these residents of Scotland Street. Bertie and his awful mother Irene are my favourites and this time I laughed aloud reading about the Melanie Klein T-shirt the psychoanalysis-orientated mother Irene had bought to his 6y son to mark the anniversary of the celebrated psychoanalyst's birth :D Poor Bertie had to lie to his friends that Klein is a fashion designer :)

#43 for Reduce Mount TBR 2018 Challenge by Dove-i-Libri

Journal Entry 3 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, At a bookcrossing Meet-up -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 12, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (8/12/2018 UTC) at Tampere, At a bookcrossing Meet-up -- Controlled Releases

This book found the next reader at the BC meet-up of Tampere :)

Journal Entry 4 by jonnukka at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, August 12, 2018
I took this. Will see what I like about it.