The Woods Vol. 1

Where's this book been?
by James Tynion IV | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/25/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017
I got this slim softcover at the Comic Store after reading this BookThread review. The plot sounds similar to that of The Drifting Classroom; will see how this version varies.

Later: quite similar, both in the mysterious and mind-bending "school is relocated somewhere mysterious and definitely not on Earth" beginning and in the ways in which different groups react. The main characters here mostly want to solve the puzzle of why they're here and are willing (more or less) to go exploring, following a mysterious arrow that one student is certain was placed to guide them. (One panel late in this volume seems to confirm that, though whether it's for the students' good or ill we don't know yet.) Other groups grow crazy with power - pretty darned quickly - and it looks like everyone's in for a rough time.

The group that goes into the woods discovers a variety of things, from huge dangerous predators to cute (if bizarre-looking) ones, taking some damage along the way. But will they find a way home?

I enjoyed the story and artwork enough to want to read more.

[There's a TV Tropes page on this series.]

Released 1 yr ago (3/15/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 607 Chestnut St in Manchester, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Four Elements Release Challenge. ***