Pilgrimage: The Book of the People

by Zenna Henderson | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/27/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, June 27, 2017
I found this fair-condition '60s paperback at a local Savers thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy.

I first encountered Henderson's work through her short stories about The People, psychically-gifted aliens who've been stranded on Earth and have had an assortment of challenges and tragedies as they attempt to survive and seek each other out. The tales tend to be bittersweet, some focusing on individual "lost children" who turn out to be of The People, others on groups of The People who are trying to collect enough of their number - with enough different talents - to build a spacecraft and find their way home. (Henderson's stories nearly all revolve around family, home, friendship, or student/teacher relationships, but the subject and tone varies widely; all are worth reading.)

This book contains many of the stories about The People, and makes a lovely saga.

In addition to this book and The People: No Different Flesh, Henderson has two collections of stories that are not about The People, but that are well worth reading: "The Anything Box," and "Holding Wonder".

[There's a 1972 TV movie adaptation. And there's a short TV Tropes page on the stories.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, June 30, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (6/30/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the SF bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by lane1088 at Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Saturday, August 19, 2017
I received this back from the scifi book box. I am planning on a wild release on a future traveling visit.

Released 1 yr ago (9/10/2017 UTC) at National Mall in -- Parks (regional and national), District of Columbia USA

I left this near the Korean war memorial. Enjoy.