The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act

by Kieron Gillen | Graphic Novels |
Registered by emmejo of Cortland, New York USA on 6/23/2017
Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Cortland, New York USA on Friday, June 23, 2017
Every ninety years, 12 young people become the reincarnations of gods. They develop incredible talents and inspire creative revolutions among their fans. They rocket through two years of spectacular fame, and then they die. As one might imagine, giving a group of teens careers as popstars, superpowers, and a death sentence doesn't always end well.

This is one of only a handful of comics that I actually buy issue by issue instead of waiting on the trades. I've even done a closet cosplay of one of the characters. (Pic attached!) It is one of those stories that blends apparently simple situations with convoluted aspects that means I still notice something new almost every time I re-read it, catching foreshadowing I missed or background info that seemed trivial at the time. I admit, this first volume didn't catch my attention as much on the first read (probably because a couple of the characters it focuses on aren't ones I find particularly interesting), but by the second one, I was hooked.

It is also one of the most diverse comics I've read, with a cast consisting of many ethnicities, sexualities, and genders.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, July 07, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (7/7/2017 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

This is one of the books starting the newest LGBTQ+ Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 19, 2017
Taking out of emmejo's LGBTQ+ Bookbox. I do love a good story about good & evil. And the idea of Gods returning to the world as teens sounds like the makings of an awesome story.

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, June 14, 2019
I enjoyed this collection of comics. It was a clever twist on good vs. evil, with gods living forever because they are reincarnated repeatedly. Bringing classic gods with violence, history, and vendettas into the bodies of present day teens/young adults is a volatile situation and leads to a lot of interesting drama and infighting.

I agree with emmejo's comments, especially regarding the diversity. It made for a really enjoyable read!

Journal Entry 5 by wingKateKintailwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Friday, June 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/16/2019 UTC) at Arlington, Virginia USA

Taking to a BCinDC meetup so that it can find a new reader. Enjoy!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Monday, June 17, 2019
Caught at the BCinDC meetup today.

I was excited to see this book at the meetup and snatched it up as it barely touched the table!

Journal Entry 7 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Monday, June 17, 2019
I really couldn’t wait to read this and dove in the very next day after receiving it! It’s really engrossing and the cover art, though simple, is fantastic!

I’m interested to see where the story is going to go with the gods looking for a murderer within their midst along with the great ending, even though you know something of the sort was coming. It will be fun to see what that means for Laura or is a trick of the gods’?