Jack Glass

by Adam Roberts | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by davemurray101 of Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on 9/23/2017
Journal Entry 1 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, September 23, 2017
Jack Glass is the murderer. We know this from the start. Yet as this extraordinary novel tells the story of three murders committed by Glass the reader will be surprised to find out that it was Glass who was the killer and how he did it. And by the end of the book our sympathies for the killer are fully engaged. Riffing on the tropes of crime fiction (the country house murder, the locked room mystery) and imbued with the feel of golden age SF, JACK GLASS is another bravura performance from Roberts. Whatever games he plays with the genre, whatever questions he asks of the reader, Roberts never loses sight of the need to entertain. JACK GLASS has some wonderfully gruesome moments, is built around three gripping HowDunnits and comes with liberal doses of sly humour. Roberts invites us to have fun and tricks us into thinking about both crime and SF via a beautifully structured novel set in a society whose depiction challanges notions of crime, punishment, power and freedom. It is an extraordinary novel.

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Picked up at the Stewart Island uncon, and started reading it the final night. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

v

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, October 23, 2017
The first third was really good, but it started to drag a bit in the middle, and the solution for the final mystery was a bit too deus ex machina-ish for my taste (I'd come up with at least two (in my opinion, more interesting) solutions that seemed reasonably plausible). But it was still cool to read a modern SF novel written in a Golden Age style.

v

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Bookcrossing Convention Bordeaux 2018 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Saturday, April 21, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/20/2018 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Bordeaux 2018 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

Want to meet other Bookcrossers? A small but active group of Christchurch Bookcrossers meet once a month for lunch and to exchange books. If you'd like to join us, check out the Conventions and Meetings Forum for details.