Slade House: A Novel

by David Mitchell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/20/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, June 20, 2017
I enjoyed Mitchell's novel Cloud Atlas, and when I saw this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop I decided to give it a try.

It's an atmospheric and creepy tale of a house that can only be reached at certain times and by a not-always-visible gate in a dark alley - and that is haunted by the not-quite-gone shades of the previous victims. The story skips years, as the house's denizens only need to - um, feed? - at intervals, but there are connections between the characters in each new segment, and the deviousness of the antagonists is pitted against the growing awareness of the potential victims.

I really liked the way the story unfolded, and found it deliciously unnerving. The interview with the author at the end is also entertaining.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some entertaining tidbits - but do beware of spoilers.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (5/4/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2018
Taken out of the Otherworldly box.

Journal Entry 4 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018
Hard for me personally to get into because of the Britishisms.

Journal Entry 5 by AlterEgoZoe at Little Free Library #7057 in Easton, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/11/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library #7057 in Easton, Pennsylvania USA

When he looked up again Tas had gone. Rising to join the others, he caught sight of something small and abandoned on the floor. "Tas you forgot your pipe." He picked it up and then saw words carved into the wood he had not seen before. Find the music, find the magic.
"Did you carve this?"
Tas did not turn. "Yes," he said, reluctantly. "I have to leave it."
"But, Tas, why?"
Tas squared his shoulders as though firming some resolve. But still he did not turn. "Because the shepherd said that it could only be used once. Thats why I can't get the pipe to play that song-or any song. I've used the magic." He took a deep breath and went on. "And he said that once I found the magic I had the pass the pipe on." he paused and then he did turn, a scamp's humor in his long brown eyes. "It's going to be a long winter. I'm going to leave it here for someone else to find."
"Snowsong" by Nancy Varian Berberick

Found a book? Find the magic! Welcome to BookCrossing!! If you are already a member, "Hello!", if you have only just found this lovely site, welcome!

Congratulations on finding a released BookCrossing book! You can now register on the site, if you want to. It's free to register, but of course you can remain anon. It's up to you!

If you do decide to join, please add me as your referring member, AlterEgoZoe. Thanks!

Most of all, enjoy the book, and enjoy BookCrossing!