The Sparrow: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

by Mary Doria Russell | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by imawinn2 of Neenah, Wisconsin USA on 6/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, June 15, 2017
Description from back cover

"AN EXPERIENCE NOT TO BE MISSED... If you have to send a group of people to a newly discovered planet to contact a totally unknown species, whom would you choose? How about four Jesuit priests, a young astronomer, a physician, her engineer husband, and a child prostitute turned computer expert? That's who Mary Doria Russell sends in her new novel, The Sparrow. This motley combination of agnostics, true believers, and misfits becomes the first to explore the Alpha Centuri world of Rakhat with both enlightening and disastrous results... Vivid and engaging... An incredible novel." -- The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

“The Jewish sages also tell us that God dances when His children defeat Him in argument, when they stand on their feet and use their minds. So questions like Anne's are worth asking. To ask them is a very fine kind of human behavior. If we keep demanding that God yield up His answers, perhaps some day we will understand them. And then we will be something more than clever apes, and we shall dance with God.”
― Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow

From imawinn2
It took me several chapters to get into this story. I knew it was suppose to be a good tale, according to the reviews, so I stuck with it. I am so glad that I did! It is not your typical Sci-Fi. Not only is it about a physical journey to discover an alien planet but also a spiritual journey . The characters and their interactions with each other are very interesting and complex. I found that once I got past the first few chapters, I had a hard time putting this book down. Now, I'm off to experience the sequel ... Children of God.

Journal Entry 2 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, August 14, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/14/2017 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

I'm putting this book into emmejo's Otherworldly Bookbox. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 3 by BookLovinMama at Arnold, Missouri USA on Tuesday, September 26, 2017
I received this as part of emmejo's Otherworldly book box. Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to read!

Journal Entry 4 by BookLovinMama at Arnold, Missouri USA on Saturday, June 01, 2019
Emilio is a linguist and is moved around quite a bit during his first few years as a priest. When he is finally given his choice of assignments he returns to his birthplace in Puerto Rico convincing his friends George and Anne that their skills would be beneficial to his new congregation. It doesn't take much convincing and the three of them are off!

Anne re-establishes the local clinic. George volunteers as a docent at the Arecibo dish, where he meets Jimmy. The four of them become fast friends. Jimmy learns that his job is to be automated, makes a deal with his boss, and Sophia is brought into the group, continuing to round out the dynamics.

When Jimmy uncovers beautiful music from a nearby system, the lives of these friends, plus three additional priests, takes a new turn. They are suddenly planning their trip to Alpha Centuri.

This book was not overly "religious". However, it does show us how Emilio's origination in the priesthood is more of a feeling of safety and acceptance, to that of knowing God and finally feeling abandoned by God. This was Emilio's spiritual journey.

The characters were well developed and I often felt as if I was in Anne's home as she was entertaining the group. Once the team was on Rakhat, I did often get confused as to what exactly was happening. It wasn't always easy for me to follow.

There is a sequel to the book: Children of God. If I happen to come across it I will read it, but I found this book to be fine as a stand alone.

Released 2 wks ago (10/28/2019 UTC) at ~~~ ~~~ A Fellow BookCrosser ~~~ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

We're participated in several otherworldly book exchanges over the last two years. It's time to pass along some of the books that we've read so that they can continue the journey.

Journal Entry 6 by bamaforever at Clanton, Alabama USA on Friday, November 08, 2019
Thanks for the box of books!