The Red House

by Mark Haddon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tenscentpistol of Paris, Ile-de-France France on 6/11/2017
Journal Entry 1 by tenscentpistol from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, June 11, 2017
I bought this one in a second hand bookshop in Barcelona a while back, because I loved The Curious incident of the dog in the night-time.

Richard, a wealthy doctor, invites his estranged sister Angela and her family to join his for a week at a vacation home in the English countryside. Richard has just re-married and inherited a willful stepdaughter in the process; Angela has a feckless husband and three children who sometimes seem alien to her. The stage is set for seven days of resentment and guilt, a staple of family gatherings the world over.

Journal Entry 2 by tenscentpistol at Paris, Ile-de-France France on Friday, April 27, 2018
This book needs to travel, it's been sitting on my shelf for some years now!

I'm offering it as a BookRay (http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/551815)

Participants:
- dvg : USA, US shipping
- valpete : USA, international shipping
- Barcino : USA, international shipping
- heartthumper : USA, international shipping --> book is here

Journal Entry 3 by tenscentpistol at Paris, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (5/16/2018 UTC) at Paris, Ile-de-France France

Off to Icila. Bonne lecture!

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, May 18, 2018
Just arrived safe and sound. Thank you !

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, May 20, 2018
We all know that every family is a disturbed one but it's always interesting to observe how.

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, May 25, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (5/25/2018 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Femke85 in Sweden. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 7 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Thursday, May 31, 2018
Arrived in Sweden and will start reading it right away.

Journal Entry 8 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Saturday, July 07, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (7/7/2018 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

Deopped it in the mail today.

Journal Entry 9 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, August 01, 2018
The book arrived in Canada. I will start reading soon and keep the ray going.
Thanks, tenscentpistol, for offering the book for a ray, and Femke85, for sending the book to me.

Updated August 19, 2018

This one is difficult to follow at the beginning as the characters are introduced and stream of consciousness is used for all characters. As the story goes on and I start to follow the plot and get to understand the characters and their relationships, I begin to really enjoy the book. I like it more and more as the story goes on. I can see echoes of my own feelings and experiences in more than one of characters. The book is an interesting look at family dynamics, adolescence and memory.

Journal Entry 10 by mcsar at Sent To The Next Bookcrosser, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (8/21/2018 UTC) at Sent To The Next Bookcrosser, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to MmeClinton. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 11 by wingMmeClintonwing at South Berwick, Maine USA on Tuesday, August 28, 2018
The book has arrived safely in Maine USA... I have two to read before this one (book group choices) and then will get right to it! Looks good, and I certainly remember and enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIght-Time! Will send for address of next on list!

Journal Entry 12 by wingMmeClintonwing at South Berwick, Maine USA on Saturday, September 29, 2018
I'm unsure of why it took me so long to finish Mark Haddon's The Red House; this arrived for me a few weeks ago as part of a book ring which I need to send on, so it had risen to the top of the TBR pile. I remember really liking Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, and reviews for this new book were quite favorable. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, even though I recognize what a good writer he is, how adept he is in conveying a wealth of individual personalities among his characters. This story covers one week when two parts of a complex family who have been fairly estranged for quite some time decide to spend holiday together after the death of the siblings' mother, the siblings being Angela and Richard. Angela is married to Dominic, and they have three children: Alex, an older teen with all the drama that can entail, Daisy a younger teen who has recently joined a church, and young Benjy, fighting his own monsters. Richard is in his second marriage, to Louisa, and has inherited a stepdaughter, Melissa. Somehow Mark Haddon has managed to make every single one of these characters go through just about every emotional and personal crisis you can imagine in the space of one week. The adults are dealing with infidelities, insecurities, ghosts, and varying degrees of success or failures barely understood; the children are dealing with insecurities, bullying (both as givers and recipients), raging questions of sexuality, and the strangeness of adults. What I found took away from the really good build-up of the characters is the preponderance of what I would call the pastiche method of descriptions.... not full sentences, often just compilations of phrases (or in one case, an entire long paragraph of the titles of the books on the shelf), loads of references to things or events which didn't always resonate with me. It took a long time to begin actually enjoying the reading and being able to keep the characters straight (who is who in relation to the others?)... this latter problem made harder by many passages of thoughts/actions with no actual mention of who is talking or doing, so it took many lines to be able to visualize who was being featured. All in all, an interesting read, but frustrating to me personally because of the chosen stylistics. I'll send this out in the mail Monday to the next in line!

Journal Entry 13 by dvg at Toms River, New Jersey USA on Monday, October 08, 2018
Arrived safely in NJ! Thank you for sharing this book(ray) with me and I am PMing the next in line so can send it out as soon as I am finished. Can't wait to get started on this one. -)

Journal Entry 14 by dvg at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 09, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/10/2018 UTC) at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I had the same reaction as Mmeclinton: loved the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night but had a hard time getting into this story. Once I started to unravel the characters and stories they were telling, I enjoyed the book. Honestly, it took me a while to get there. I just finished it and wanted to do the journal entry quickly so I can get it in the mail to Valpete.
Happy Reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 15 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, December 09, 2018
Received this one today. I do have one to finish, then I'll get started on this one.

Journal Entry 16 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, December 27, 2018
I, too, had similar feelings as the other readers. I do like the "stream of consciousness" technique and think this author is really brilliant. I, like Mme Clinton, found that many of the references didn't resonate at all with me (I think I have to live in England). I did finish it in record time. On to the next reader.

Journal Entry 17 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, December 27, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (12/28/2018 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Off to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by Barcino at Berkeley, California USA on Monday, December 31, 2018
Thank you, thank you so much for sending this my way. This is my first Bookring and I'm very excited about it. Looking forward to spending time with Haddon and his characters ;)
Happy New Year, fellow bookcrossers, fellow readers!

PS: such a lovely surprise to find the Catalan text "Punt d'intercanvi" on the first page, indicating the book came from Catalonia (despite being a UK copy). They usually use this stamp to mark books that are on an exchange pile in a local library. I wonder which one!

Journal Entry 19 by Barcino at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (2/26/2019 UTC) at Hutchinson, Kansas USA

Sending it to the next reader. Enjoy!

I really really liked it. I hadn't been reading "proper" literature for a while and whislt reading The Red House I realised how much I'd been misssing it. Yes, the references are almost endless but I loved it nonethless, porbably because I feel at home in the UK. All those feeling are so real, so in our everyday lives, and I always feel people want to be perfect and expect perfection in others and that creates unhappiness.
No heroes or heroines in The Red House, just a family going on about their lives. Just like any of us.
What I did find interesting is that it's a story about feelings written by a man, and yet men do not read this kind of books (at least not the men I know!), nor do they talk about their feelings in real life. Maybe they should read more books like this...

Anyway, now that I'm on Haddon-mode, I'm looking forwad to reading Spot of Bother.

Journal Entry 20 by heartthumper at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Saturday, March 02, 2019
This book arrived today. I'll start it as soon as I finish the two ahead of it. Thanks for including me. I wasn't expecting it to arrive so soon. LOL!!!

Journal Entry 21 by heartthumper at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Thursday, March 21, 2019
I had a hard time getting into the story and keeping the characters straight. Once I did, I truly enjoyed it.