The Girl Who Was Saturday Night

by Heather O'Neill | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0002006308 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingJ4shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 6/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Thursday, June 08, 2017

ABOUT THE BOOK
Nineteen years old, free of prospects, and inescapably famous, the twins Nicholas and Nouschka Tremblay are trying to outrun the notoriety of their father, a French-Canadian Serge Gainsbourg with a genius for the absurd and for winding up in prison.

Since the twins were little, Étienne has made them part of his unashamed seduction of the province, parading them on talk shows and then dumping them with their decrepit grandfather while he disappeared into some festive squalor. Now Étienne is washed up and the twins are making their own almost-grown-up messes, with every misstep landing on the front pages of the tabloid Allo Police. Nouschka not only needs to leave her childhood behind; she also has to leave her brother, whose increasingly erratic decisions might take her down with him.

MY REVIEW
Read in November 2014
In 2009 I read "Lullabies for Little Criminals" and to this day that book is the best debut novel I have had the privilege to read. It moved me to do something I'd never done before in emailing the author asking please please please write another book!
5 years I waited for "The Girl who was Saturday Night" and my God was it worth the wait.
Heather O'Neil is without a doubt the author I would most like to have as one of my friends. Her mind is just incredible.
This book described in beautiful lyrics the most degenerate, downtrodden likes of society, in a backdrop of a struggling, yet fighting country, and yet you feel yourself wishing to be a part of that life.
Each character was used effectively. Each played an integral part in the book. There was no wasted space or unnecessary chapters.
I loved this book! I adored Nouschka.
I'm not sure I can wait another 5 years for her 3rd novel, but I guess you can't rush perfection!

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, June 08, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (6/8/2017 UTC) at Brisbane, Queensland Australia

You can't read this until you've read her first one remember!
Sending as a surprise RABCK to bump the other one along ;) and generally sharing my love for this incredible Canadian author.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, June 22, 2017
J4shaw - you are a star! Thank you so much :)
The book hasn't arrived yet, but the label arrived today (according to a little note on the envelope, it was found on the ground at an address nowhere near mine and re-posted - really not sure what the posties are up to these days!)
I have two books that I need to read, but then I promise to read Lullabies.
Thanks again :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, July 04, 2017
The book arrived today - thanks so much :)
Looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, October 30, 2018
Well, it took me a while to get to it and a while to read it, but I did enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick Post Office in Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, November 01, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/1/2018 UTC) at Howick Post Office in Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the BookCrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous, or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by keeta1. It’s all free, spam-free and confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address).
I hope you enjoy the book.
Happy reading!