The Vinland Sagas: The Norse Discovery of America

by Anonymous | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 6/6/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, June 06, 2017
Short contents:
One of the most arresting stories in the history of exploration, these two Icelandic sagas tell of the discovery of America by Norsemen five centuries before Christopher Columbus. Together, the direct, forceful twelfth-century Graenlendinga Saga and the more polished and scholarly Eirik's Saga, written some hundred years later, recount how Eirik the Red founded an Icelandic colony in Greenland and how his son, Leif the Lucky, later sailed south to explore - and if possible exploit - the chance discovery by Bjarni Herjolfsson of an unknown land. In spare and vigorous prose they record Europe's first surprise glimpse of the eastern shores of the North American continent and the natives who inhabited them.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, February 09, 2020
I liked these two short sagas.
It is fascinating to read stories that are this old and find that they are very readable. They are at times a bit short, I tend to think that details in this version/the original/the story that survived were left out, because the people that read them knew them already, living in the same area in the same time fame.
I liked it also, that there were quite a few descriptions of the characters in the saga, and what others thought of their actions.
All in all a nice getting to know this kind of stories.

Released 3 mos ago (3/12/2020 UTC) at Paddy O'Ryan. Irish pub in Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

In the green bookcase near the side entrance of Paddy's.

Congratulations--you caught a book!

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.