The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next #7)

by Jasper Fforde | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by winggreenbadgerwing of St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 6/3/2017
Journal Entry 1 by winggreenbadgerwing from St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 03, 2017
Seventh in the Thursday Next series. After being seriously injured in the last book, Thursday is offered a job as Chief Librarian while her younger rival Phoebe Smalls becomes head of the Literary Detectives. Her son is about to spend his life locked up for murder unless the timeline can be shifted, and the evil Goliath Corporation still needs to be stopped - this time they are stealing pages from old books, but why? Fforde is back on form in this one.

Journal Entry 2 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 03, 2017
Travelling in a ray to replace this one:

In the ray:
FraukeRo (Sweden, send international)
Abi-Gibby (UK, send Europe or USA)
Flutterbies9 (UK, send Europe)
bluezwuzl (Germany, send international)
slipperbunny (Finland, send international)
bookguide (Netherlands, send EU)

Journal Entry 3 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 12, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (6/12/2017 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to FraukeRo to restart the ray.

Journal Entry 4 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, June 20, 2017
Always nice to have a package waiting in the postbox when you get home... really nice when it's a book, and extra nice when it's another book from the Thursday Next series :-) Thanks for the replacement, greenbadger!

Journal Entry 5 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, June 24, 2017
A "busier-than-usual week" indeed... fast-paced as usual, and with a bunch of different-but-same Thursdays. I love the descriptions of the librarians, and that the main character of this book only has a rating of NUT-4 of psycho-logical normality (prone to strange and sustained delusional outbursts, but otherwise normal in all respects) :-D

However, I was a bit disappointed to find out that there will be another book in the series that hasn't been published yet... some parts of this book read much like an introduction before the next one. Well, I guess I have something to look forward to :-)

Journal Entry 6 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, June 26, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (6/26/2017 UTC) at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Now all of the Thursdays are on their way to Flutterbies9 (since Abi-Gibby had already read the book), enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Thursday, July 06, 2017
Safely received 5th July 17, but I was out all day so only journalled now.

Will read and get on its way asap though I do have one book to finish prior to this.

Journal Entry 8 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Saturday, July 29, 2017
Oh, I have enjoyed this series and I'm still enjoying it. Neither of my close Bookcrossing family like this so I have felt very alone in this venture at times, but I've loved it so much. All the references to different books, all the whole fantasy book world (and another reason to enjoy for those of us who do like alternative worlds of one kind or another!) and just the sheer fun of it all!!

Sorry, I've taken so long - but I have loved it and can hardly wait for another in the series. Now of to the next reader as soon as I can get to the Post Office.

Journal Entry 9 by Flutterbies9 at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, July 29, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/31/2017 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

Happy reading and happy travels little book.

Journal Entry 10 by bluezwuzl at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Friday, August 11, 2017
The book arrived some days ago, a
but the registration seems to have vanished... Thanks for the next Next book - and the wonderful bookmarks!

Journal Entry 11 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 04, 2018
And the final book (so far) is here! I'll try to read this in January.

Journal Entry 12 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 15, 2018
I want Jasper Fforde to write faster!! I've almost read everything he has published already and I'm going crazy with the thought that there isn't more... He's definitely one of my favorite authors and I loved this volume. Only bad thing about it was, that it was over way too fast.

I'm going to send this to bookguide as soon as I recover from my flu. I've been stuck at home for the last three days and it's driving me crazy.

Journal Entry 13 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/17/2018 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I sent this to the next reader!

Journal Entry 14 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, January 25, 2018
And the next Next reader HAS caught the book. Thank you, slipperbunny. I hope you’re recovering well from being ill. And I hope I don’t catch the dreaded flu. I’ll try to read the book and send it back home soon.

Journal Entry 15 by bookguide at BC meeting 2018 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 08, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (7/8/2018 UTC) at BC meeting 2018 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of the previous year. My reading goal is 36 books.

Journal Entry 16 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, November 03, 2018
Sadly, nobody seems to have journalled this after the Dutch unconvention in Castricum. This could be because somebody took a vast number of books and still has the book in a bag or box waiting to be read or released. Or they might have taken it for release in the wild on the trip home and not written a JE. Hopefully it will resurface one day. It seems a shame for it just to disappear, but at least I can record my feelings about the book as I see I didn't originally write a review. That has now been remedied, at last.

You can read my full review on my book blog: https://marketgardenreader.wordpress.com/2018/11/03/thursday-next-died-a-lot-jasper-fforde. In brief, I loved this episode of Thursday Next's adventures. In her world, librarians are cool instead of bespectacled fuddy-duddies. There are lots of funny references to the real world and Jasper Fforde's usual quirky explanations of what's going on behind the scenes with memory manipulation and the stupidity surplus. It also has plenty of food for thought on memory, dementia and the stories we tell. I loved it!

Journal Entry 17 by dutch-book at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, January 09, 2019
I have no idea why I took this book with me since I had already read the story (probably for a friend of mine to read and she didn't want to) and I have no idea why I didn't journal this one, as I distinctly remember me going through all the books to journal them. This apparently slipped through.
Anyway it's here and it's most likely that I will take it to the next BC-meetup in Castricum.

Journal Entry 18 by dutch-book at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, April 22, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (4/22/2019 UTC) at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

I've sent this one to someone in Australia whom I tagged with this book.

Tag, you're it.

Journal Entry 19 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, May 27, 2019
Arrived safely after its long trip. Thanks for the tag, dutch-book.