The Naked Man Festival: And Other Excuses to Fly Around the World

by Brian Thacker | Travel |
Registered by wingBookworm-ladywing of Madrid, Madrid Spain on 6/2/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, June 02, 2017
"It was only a degree above zero and the rain was coming down in sheets, yet here I was about to tun around in nothing more than a nappy, I was pretty sure it was going to be the silliest thing I'd ever done..."

"Join Brian Thacker as he embarks on a round-the-world odyssey in search of as many silly, outlandish and even staggeringly banal festivals as time, distance, and severe bouts of exposure will allow. Along the way he is pelted with beans, overawed by giant snow cows and stampeded in a temple full of mean wearing nappies in hot pursuit of a stick. And that's just in Japan."

Purchased as a present for a Birthday Club member who has it in her WishList.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, June 05, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (6/5/2017 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to a Birthday Group member, who has it in her WishList.
Enjoy!! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Friday, June 30, 2017
This wishlist birthday present has now arrived in Vancouver, WA. Thank you so much for thinking of my on my birthday! Looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2018
I really enjoyed this book. I found he was a little crude for me at times, but overly so. It was a very pleasant read overall. Before I knew it, I'd finished the book. Thanks again for the birthday book Bookworm-lady!

Released 1 yr ago (5/22/2018 UTC) at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sent out in the 2018 thegoaliegirl's travel narrative bookbox to start the box off!

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 04, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Travel Narrative bookbox. How could I resist a title like that? {wry grin}

Later: I really enjoyed this! While Thacker did distill his list of festivals down to relatively few countries (most of the entries are from Japan and the US), he does mention lots of others in each chapter, and the ones he actually did visit are generally hilarious - though not all of them tempt me to want to participate myself. In fact this is the most comfortable kind of travel book for me; vastly entertaining and informative, but not in the least tempting me to saddle up and hit the road!

While Thacker does seem to love to party, and spends a good percentage of each festival getting seriously drunk and then having to cope with hangovers and/or digestive upsets, he also seems to have a salutary ability to dive in to the local cuisines and customs, and has a much more immersive time than I suspect most tourists would. From a Country Music Festival in Australia to Tet in Vietnam to the titular Naked Man festival in Japan, it's a very amusing (and sometimes cringe-inducing) read. (FWIW, the "Naked Man Festival" doesn't really feature totally-naked men - at least not at first; everyone's clothed in the traditional fundoshi, a wrapped loincloth. The author's description of experiencing this process is worth the price of admission! The festival itself involves the crowd attempting to catch a single carved stick and then successfully carry it through a gate, while everyone else tries to seize it in a no-holds-barred contest that often leaves competitors injured, sometimes seriously. Good times?

In what seems like a failure of research, he chooses to experience a traditional US 4th of July in a tiny New Mexico town that turns out to be very religious and totally dry - so he has to make lengthy side trips to find some beer. He did like the fireworks, though!

The Ripley, Tennessee tomato festival sounded pretty awesome, though I don't have to go nearly that far to get excellent tomatoes in season - still, I had fun reading about it.

I appreciated the author's suggestions that travelers make some effort to check out local festivals when they're traveling, as a way to learn more about the culture - and to have some memorable experiences!

Released 1 yr ago (6/17/2018 UTC) at Main Street (see release notes for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench somewhere along Main Street, while visiting the Farmers Market that will be held there every Sunday through the summer. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***