Life Sentences: A Novel

by Laura Lippman | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0061944882 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingBooksandMusicwing of Seattle, Washington USA on 6/2/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingBooksandMusicwing from Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, June 02, 2017
There is a lifelessness about this book, hard to explain, but I sense the author sitting and typing, the story flat on the page. I read the book quickly, was interested in it, but it in retrospect, it never seemed like a story. For me, only one character was real and not a cardboard cut out or a life lesson or a moral teaching example. I am sure my sense of the author writing the book is suggested by the main character, a writer who wrote two biographical books and was attempting another non-fiction book. In the character's efforts to write a third non-fiction book she chooses to write about a former classmate who had been jailed for seven years for refusing to say what happened to her baby boy who had disappeared. No one knows where this classmate is now, so they say, and Cassandra, our author must find her to get the story. She contacts other former classmates and no one wants to talk to her at all. She persists and finds out some information but in her searches she finds that some of what she wrote in her previous books is inaccurate. Themes here seem to be: the infidelity of men, the sadness of women, and the fallacy of accurate memory. But there is also silence vs revelation; how silence can be a strength and forgiveness the ultimate act of courage and strength; the consequences of revelation both good and bad; and race relations, particularly romances and marriages between African American and Caucasian.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017
Made a mistake, it was my OTHER COPY of this book that I wild released. This copy is going into the L author bookring.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (6/7/2017 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Sent off in the L authors book ring to NancyNova

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, June 12, 2017
I read the other book in the "L" bookring, so taking this one instead. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at Kulpsville Post Office OBCZ in Kulpsville, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/1/2019 UTC) at Kulpsville Post Office OBCZ in Kulpsville, Pennsylvania USA

For the snap and Tick Tock release challenges

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy!
Thanks and happy reading!