Shanghai Tango: A Memoir

by Jin Xing | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingestelle1806wing of Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on 6/1/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingestelle1806wing from Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, June 1, 2017
Jin Xing is a former prima ballerina, one of the brightest stars of the Shanghai Ballet. But her journey to international fame was fraught with difficulty, because Jin Xing was in fact born a man.

Journal Entry 2 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, April 11, 2019
I was looking forward to reading these memoirs, but although it was a quick read, it left me a bit disappointed. I thought the story was a bit too superficial and lacked depth and character. Maybe the original language it was written in (French) is a bit more insightful...
I still liked the story.
Now reserved for a sweepstake.

Journal Entry 3 by wingestelle1806wing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, April 25, 2019

Released 3 yrs ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Travelling to the decoy of the Global sweepstake, enjoy!

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 4 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, May 5, 2019
Oh, I'm the decoy :) Book arrived while I was on holidays, than you!! Not entirely sure if I've already read this (or just several other Shanghai-related memorials) but we'll see when the time comes...

Journal Entry 5 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, January 3, 2020

Released 2 yrs ago (1/3/2020 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Jin Xing has an interesting story to tell, but unfortunately doesn't write about it quite as well as one could hope... and she's certainly not too modest when describing her incredible looks and talent :D Also, some parts were a bit confusing, like bits of Chinese/army bureaucracy that an outsider doesn't necessarily get without more thorough explanations. But it's an entertaining read about an important topic, glad I got the chance to read it.

The book moves on again as part of Global sweepstakes :)

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 6 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, January 13, 2020
Received in the mail as part of the Global sweeps!! Not read this before so I'm interested to discover the story!!

Journal Entry 7 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, March 30, 2020
Interesting story, but comes across as a little bland..... "superficial" has been used in earlier reviews and I'd agree with that. Doesn't have much in the way of depth ....... but a very easy read.

Journal Entry 8 by Andrea99 at Sweepstakes , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, August 24, 2020

Released 2 yrs ago (8/24/2020 UTC) at Sweepstakes , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Mailed to the winner/decoy of the Unusual Countries sweeps. Hope you enjoy!!

Journal Entry 9 by wingLubiettewing at Kallithea - Καλλιθέα, Attica Greece on Monday, January 4, 2021
Unbelievable, the book mailed on 24/08 has arrived today ! Thank you !

Journal Entry 10 by wingLubiettewing at Kallithea - Καλλιθέα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, May 11, 2021
I did not have a clue about who is Jin Xing so this read came as a total surprise. Quite interesting as far as the Chinese culture and the process of gender change operation are involved, but the book is definitely lacking of depth and impartiality.

Released 11 mos ago (10/30/2021 UTC) at -- Κάπου στην πόλη - Somewhere in town in Kavala - Καβάλα, Kavala Greece

In the old town.

Happy reading !

Journal Entry 12 by MaroulitaCh1987 at Kavala - Καβάλα, Kavala Greece on Saturday, October 30, 2021
So excited..looking forward to start reading 📚