Killing the Dead

by Marcus Sedgwick | Teens |
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 5/31/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 31, 2017
We need to speak of the dead.
We need to speak for the dead, for they cannot speak for themselves. There are things they would want to say to us, if only they could talk. But, surely, they cannot. No longer can we walk into the next room, and find them standing there as they did in life, and hear what they have to say.
They are gone.
Yet...
Yet, they linger.

So it is with this girl who's gone now.
Her name, when they still said it aloud, was Isobel.

1963. It's a year since the death of a girl at a prestigious private school in Massachusetts; but although she's gone, her presence still remains, affecting everyone who knew her. Killing the dead is very hard to do...

When I picked this up, I didn't realise it was a children's book for older readers. Well, I'm certainly an older reader......

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 24, 2017
Follow the dark, dark path
Into the dark, dark woods.
To the dark, dark bridge
By the dark, dark water.

Linger.
Let the ghosts of heaven tell their story

An excellent creepy & haunting novella which, while not aimed at my age group, nevertheless made quite an impression on me (though to be completely honest I didn't particularly like the poem at the end.)

As it's aimed at children - albeit "older" readers, 13/14ish? I don't know - I was surprised at the sexual innuendo between the promiscuous Margot & her teacher - I guess kids today are more worldly than us that were 13 in the early 70's! Whatever, this is one older reader who will happily read more by this author :o)

Released 1 yr ago (10/17/2017 UTC) at Plums Halloween Sweepstake, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to the winner of my Tenth Halloween Sweepstake
👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻 👻

Released as part of The SPOOK-TACULAR CHALLENGE (#15)

Journal Entry 4 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Friday, October 20, 2017
Thanks so much for this spooky book Plum-crazy and for everything else you sent me :)

Journal Entry 5 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Friday, December 22, 2017
Pretty good and spooky. Poor Isobel, no wonder she came back.

Journal Entry 6 by Bjorg at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (10/10/2018 UTC) at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland

To my partner in the 2018 Halloween trest and bók exchange :) enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, October 15, 2018
Received this book with Halloween treats for the 2018 exchange, thanks Bjorg!