Hidden Figures: The Untold Story of the African American Women Who Helped Win the Space Race

by Margot Lee shetterly | History | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 0008201323 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Dorothyredboots of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 5/27/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Dorothyredboots from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 27, 2017
This was a choice for my book group. As I could not get the book from the library I purchased it from the local supermarket. The book is interesting in parts and has obviously been well researched. Sadly I think it fell down in that I didn't feel that I got to know these women. The book has been popular because of the recent film release but whether the book is worth the hype is debateable.
Synopsis from Amazon:-
'Set amid the civil rights movement, the never-before-told true story of NASA’s African-American female mathematicians who played a crucial role in America’s space program.

Before Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, a group of professionals worked as ‘Human Computers’, calculating the flight paths that would enable these historic achievements. Among these were a coterie of bright, talented African-American women. Segregated from their white counterparts, these ‘colored computers’ used pencil and paper to write the equations that would launch rockets, and astronauts, into space.

Moving from World War II through NASA’s golden age, touching on the civil rights era, the Space Race, the Cold War, and the women’s rights movement, Hidden Figures interweaves a rich history of mankind’s greatest adventure with the intimate stories of five courageous women whose work forever changed the world.'

If you pick it up I hope you enjoy this book. If you are new to Bookcrossing, welcome! Feel free to write a journal entry saying where you found this book and if you read it, what you thought about it. The previous readers are always happy to hear what happened to a book, so please leave the labels intact. It is free to leave a journal entry and you can remain anonymous if you wish!

Released 4 yrs ago (7/13/2017 UTC) at Branston Cafe, Rectory Lane in Branston, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Left on the charity booksale shelf.