Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story

by Leonie Swann | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 5/27/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, May 27, 2017

A book that I recently acquired because it reminds me of my friend FURBALL, who recently died. We frequently exchanged mysteries and we each read this one and simultaneously tried to give it to each other.

This book was interesting on many levels. It was not as amusing as I expected (a bunch of sheep detectives) or as fast-moving as I might have preferred. But I think it was rather realistic -- I don't think it was much different than what a sheep's life would actually be like. It moves at the right pace for a murder solved by sheep, and the mystery was rather well-done. I didn't entirely like the solution, but getting there was interesting. The sheep staging a demonstration of the murder was a classic moment. And it was interesting to see that the sheep thought humans had small souls because their noses are quite poor. The way they deduced the mystery based on their understanding of how human society functions was also intriguing. I did love some of the characters very much -- Mopple the Whale and Zora and Othello -- and came to appreciate both George and the butcher.

All in all, not as exciting as I had hoped in the time I had spent wanting to read it, but not a bad little book.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Adding this to the Mystery VBB curated by Bookstogive.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Withdrawing from the VBB because no one has selected it. I will find another way to share it.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (8/14/2019 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is headed for a friend who I hope will enjoy it.