Ketchup Clouds

by annabel pitcher | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 031624676X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/26/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, May 26, 2017
I got this good-condition ex-library hardcover from Better World Books. I enjoyed Pitcher's My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece and wanted to read more of her work.

This one opens with a teenaged girl writing to a convicted killer on death row - an interesting spin on the epistolary novel, and one I didn't care for. While she (and we) never hear back from the criminal, I found it distasteful that the main character would do that at all. The rest of the story didn't help; turns out the girl was involved in the tragic death of a classmate, after she had romantic relationships with him and his brother. The book goes to some lengths to conceal just which character died until near the end, but I didn't find all the suspense and eventual reveals to be all that interesting; the whole thing was such a mess of bad decisions and uncomfortable scenes that I wound up skimming most of the way to the end. It definitely didn't go the way I'd expected, which I suppose was a good thing, but I didn't find it rewarding or satisfying. Ah, well, can't win 'em all!

Released 1 yr ago (3/16/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 153 Hawthorne Rd. in Waltham, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Wine+Food Release Challenge. ***