Ragtime

by E.L. DOCTOROW | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingelizardbreathwing of Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on 5/22/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Monday, May 22, 2017
I had a copy of this awhile back and passed it on. Recently, I was searching on PBSwap for stories from the Gilded Age and this popped up as being a good one. I went ahead and requested it to try again. It's on the 1001 list so, if anything, it's one I can check off when I finish.

Mine has a different cover than the one shown.

Journal Entry 2 by wingelizardbreathwing at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Thursday, June 08, 2017
Book Description: "Published in 1975, Ragtime changed our very concept of what a novel could be. An extraordinary tapestry, Ragtime captures the spirit of America in the era between the turn of the century and the First World War. The story opens in 1906 in New Rochelle, New York, at the home of an affluent American family. One lazy Sunday afternoon, the famous escape artist Harry Houdini swerves his car into a telephone pole outside their house. And almost magically, the line between fantasy and historical fact, between real and imaginary characters, disappears. Henry Ford, Emma Goldman, J. P. Morgan, Evelyn Nesbit, Sigmund Freud, and Emiliano Zapata slip in and out of the tale, crossing paths with Doctorow's imagined family and other fictional characters, including an immigrant peddler and a ragtime musician from Harlem whose insistence on a point of justice drives him to revolutionary violence."

I just finished this and liked it fairly well. Much of it, especially in the beginning, was not so much a story to follow---more like a list of everything the narrator could think of that went on during the time. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just lots of snippets of information without a lot of depth. By the middle of the story though, I began to see everything come together and the three families' stories ended predictably but satisfactorily entwined.

I love reading anything about this period of time. Many of my turn of the century favorites made cameos: Houdini, Emma Goldman, and Lavinia Warren, to name just a few.

So many times I found myself laying the book aside to Google a story and see if it was true. Turns out, much of this is fiction surrounded by lots of historical characters and settings. Some of my favorite parts included the story of Charles Victor Faust and the very violent baseball game, Evelyn Nesbit's generosity, and JP Morgan's crazy ideas about Egypt and the afterlife.

I probably won't read this one again, but I don't regret the time I gave to it. One more off my 1001 list!

Reserving for the 1001Library-USA.

Releasing to the 1001Library-USA.

Journal Entry 4 by 1001Library-USA at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Saturday, June 24, 2017
I'm adding this to the 1001Library-USA. This book is available for request by a 1001Library-USA member.

Please join!

Journal Entry 5 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Sunday, February 25, 2018
I'm dissolving the 1001Library-USA due to lack of interest so I'm making this available again.

Sending to rhythmbiscuit who chose it from the VBB. Enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 7 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Tuesday, July 31, 2018
Thank you! The book arrived today.

Journal Entry 8 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (7/24/2019 UTC) at Northglenn, Colorado USA

Released in the Already Been Crossed bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingkaila-annwing at Galivants Ferry, South Carolina USA on Monday, August 26, 2019
This came home to me in the reincarnation of my Already Been Crossed bookbox and will be making a stop here to hang out Mt. TBR.