The Simplicity of Cider: A Novel

by Amy E. Reichert | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookLovinMama of Arnold, Missouri USA on 5/12/2017
Journal Entry 1 by BookLovinMama from Arnold, Missouri USA on Friday, May 12, 2017
Won through a Goodreads giveaway. Can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 2 by BookLovinMama at Arnold, Missouri USA on Friday, May 19, 2017
Set in Door County, Wisconsin on a five generation family orchard, we are introduced to Einars, the patriarch, and his daughter Sanna. Einars runs the apple orchard while Sanna is trying her hand at apple cider. Einars hires Isaac to help for the season along with his young son Bass. In the mix you have Anders, Sanna’s brother, who is interested in selling the orchard to make way for progress.

We are introduced to many trials throughout the story. Einars seems to know how Sanna will react to each situation and is trying to show her there is life beyond her trees…life with the people around her. Isaac is running from recent events and wants to have one last summer with Bass.

I was immediately drawn into the book. I can relate to Sanna on so many levels: blunt, not showing a lot of emotion, preferring to be alone with nature or even a book. The author was able to bring the orchard and its vivid colors to life in a way that allowed me to actually see the colors and even have an idea on how the cider would taste.

Released 2 yrs ago (6/10/2017 UTC) at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Releasing this book as part of iwillrejoice's ABC Bookring – Books Beginning with the Letter S. Sending this book to the next participant. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 4 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, June 17, 2017
Arrived safely today. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 5 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, August 21, 2017
Finished this today.

Now, fair warning, this is an ARC. An unedited proof. I don't mind them, normally, but this one drove me a little batty with all the inconsistencies. The worst being all the conflicting info about the boy, Bass. First he's written as if he's about 4 or 5, hiding behind his dad's leg. Then he's 12, & wants to drive the ATV. Then he's "screaming with anger because his daddy took away his candy" like he's 2. At the end, she seems to have settled on him being 10.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the story. Inconsistencies just bug me, that's all. :-)

Reserved for something. To Be Determined.

Journal Entry 6 by wingiwillrejoicewing at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/6/2018 UTC) at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Released into my ABC Authors Book Rings - US version - Letter R. Happy travels, little book!

(This was chosen by Suezq60 of Lexington Park, MD on 3/12/18. Guess she forgot to journal it.)

Journal Entry 7 by Suezq60 at Lexington Park, Maryland USA on Friday, April 13, 2018
Received as part of the R Author bookring

Journal Entry 8 by Suezq60 at Little Free Library 3596 in California, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 24, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/22/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library 3596 in California, Maryland USA

Left in LF 3596