corner corner In the Shadow of Alabama

In the Shadow of Alabama
by Judy Reene Singer | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BookLovinMama of Arnold, Missouri USA on 5/12/2017

status (set by BOOKWORMINUSALL): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by BookLovinMama from Arnold, Missouri USA on Friday, May 12, 2017

Won through a Goodreads giveaway. Can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 2 by BookLovinMama at Arnold, Missouri USA on Monday, August 28, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (8/28/2017 UTC) at Arnold, Missouri USA

Releasing this book as part of Meekachu07’s surprise paperback book box. Sending this book to the next participant. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 3 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Monday, September 11, 2017

Received this book as part of Meekachu's Surprise Paperback Bookbox Round 5, and I have chosen to keep it to read, along with BookLovinMama's gift of "eat pray love" (I have not yet read this book! : D), which I will register along with a few others I have to release before the end of the month. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, BookLovinMama!!! ; ) https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/541823 Thanks for including me!!! ; )

Cover image shows the silhouette of a woman standing on the horizon next to & under the silhouette of a tree with very few leaves, which is slightly different from the image above. When I have an opportunity, I will scan it & upload it into this Journal Entry.

From Amazon...

Judy Reene Singer’s newest novel is a masterful story of the American experience. Between the past and present, between love and war, between the burdens of race and hope, a woman returns home to discover her father and a history she had never known...

Rachel Fleischer has good reasons not to be at her father’s deathbed. Foaling season is at hand and her horses are becoming restless and difficult. Her critical mother and grasping sister could certainly handle Marty Fleisher’s resistance better without her. But Malachi, her eighty-something horse manager—more father to her than Marty has ever been—convinces Rachel she will regret it if she doesn’t go.

When a stranger at her father’s funeral delivers an odd gift and an apology, Rachel finds herself drawn into the epic story of her father’s World War II experience, and the friendships, trauma, scandal, and betrayals that would scar the rest of his life—and cast a shadow across the entire family. As she struggles to make sense of his time as a Jewish sergeant in charge of a platoon of black soldiers in 1940s Alabama, she learns more than just his history. She begins to see how his hopes and disappointments mirror her own—and might finally give her the means to free herself of the past and choose a life waiting in the wings.

“Prepare for Singer to keep you up all night ricocheting between a present day horse farm, family traumas, and the unthinkable racism in the military during WWII. The long arm of war travels through generations in this emotional drama.” —New York Times bestselling author Jacqueline Sheehan