It's Not About the Tapas

Live Life Like a Book...
by Polly Evans | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by earthcaroleanne of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on 1/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by earthcaroleanne from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 17, 2019
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by earthcaroleanne at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 17, 2019
After working for four years at a London book publisher, Polly Evans moved to Hong Kong were she spent many happy hours as a senior editor on the city's biggest entertainment weekly. But fighting deadlines from a twizzly office chair and free use of the coffee machine seemed just too easy. So Polly exchanged the shiny red cabs of Hong Long for a more demanding form of transport - a bicycle - and set off on a voyage of discovery around Spain.

From the thigh burning ascents of the Pyrenees to the relentless olive groves of Andalusia, Polly found more adventure than she had bargained for. She survived a nail-biting encounter with a sprightly prig, escaped over-zealous suitors, had her morality questioned by the locals, encountered some dubious aficionados on the road and indulged her love of regional cooking. while she pedalled, Polly pondered some of the more lurid details of Spanish history - the king who collected pickled heads, the queen who toured the country with her husband's mouldering corpse and the unfortunate duchess who lost her feet. And wherever she cycled, she ate and ate - and yet still shrank out of her trousers.

Journal Entry 3 by earthcaroleanne at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 17, 2019
With these kinds of books, I often wonder what comes first – the journey or the idea for a book. I’m guessing as she worked in publishing there was the thought of a book there but she appears to be so unprepared it’s doubtful so I would guess the majority of the research was done afterwards but I loved reading about the history and culture. I learned a few things and it is better than most in the genre.
This is a light-hearted and entertaining read that will nonetheless teach you much about Spain. It is a lively and entertaining book which pinpoints some of the loopy things about living in Spain but also mentions a lot of good things. Along the lines of Bill Bryson, it is a humourous travel book and not a conquest over potentially insurmountable odds I loved the comparison to Lance Armstrong's "It's not about the bike" - but it’s not about the tapas either.

Journal Entry 4 by earthcaroleanne at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 18, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (1/19/2019 UTC) at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

Adding to the bookring for books with a prepared food in the title.

Journal Entry 5 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 22, 2019
I'm taking this from the prepared food bookring and have started reading it already.

Journal Entry 6 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 01, 2019
I loved reading about Polly's adventures. It reminded me of some of my cycling holidays although mine were in Wales and Derbyshire. We didn't have any confrontations with mother pigs but have been chased by turkeys.
A very amusing and informative book.