Ape House

Registered by Cross-patch of Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 5/9/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Cross-patch from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 09, 2017
The two main human characters are Isabel Duncan, the research scientist involved with work on language and communiction between humans and the apes, and John Thigpen, a struggling reporter, who happens to have been doing a piece on the apes the day before their premises is blown up by an animal welfare organisation. The most fascinating characters though, are the apes themselves who have learned to communicate using ASL (American Sign Language) and can understand, if not vocalise, spoken English.

Journal Entry 2 by Cross-patch at Peppercorns OBCZ in Anstey, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (5/9/2017 UTC) at Peppercorns OBCZ in Anstey, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Leaving on the shelves after lunch with fellow BookCrossers.

Journal Entry 3 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 09, 2017
Picked up at today's mini meet.

Journal Entry 4 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 26, 2017
This is to go to kingfan30 once I've read it.

Journal Entry 5 by Tanamo at Swinstead, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 14, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/14/2017 UTC) at Swinstead, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Mailed to another bookcrosser via the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 6 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 18, 2017
Book has arrived safe and sound, thanks for the tag :-)

27 Jan 18 - A few years ago I read Bonobo Handshake and I can't remember if someone recommended this to me having read that, or if it was one if those lists down the side that suggest you may enjoy these books, although I don't suppose it really matters.

Ape House wasn't really what I was expecting, but then maybe I should have read the back first 😂 It was an interesting story line that highlights the way we have treated animals in the past, although it did get a bit far fetched at times. The way the Bonobos used sign language was what I found most fascinating. Of all the characters I found Amanda most irritating, she was far to easily lead, I just wanted to tell her to grow up. Overall a good quick read.

If you wand a more realistic view of these fascinating animals I would recommend Bonobo Handshake, it gave me a great insight into an animal I knew very little about, and what life in a rescue centre in a foreign county is like, I had great respect for them.

Journal Entry 7 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (1/30/2018 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent on as a RABCK

Journal Entry 8 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, February 02, 2018
This has now arrived safely into my hands. Thanks for this wishlist book.