The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel

by Rachel Joyce | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ukcanaus of Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on 5/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by ukcanaus from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, May 08, 2017
Meet Harold Fry, recently retired. He lives in a small English village with his wife, Maureen, who seems irritated by almost everything he does. Little differentiates one day from the next. Then one morning a letter arrives, addressed to Harold in a shaky scrawl, from a woman he hasn't heard from in twenty years. Queenie Hennessy is in hospice and is writing to say goodbye. But before Harold mails off a quick reply, a chance encounter convinces him that he absolutely must deliver his message to Queenie in person.

In his yachting shoes and light coat, Harold Fry embarks on an urgent quest. Determined to walk six hundred miles to the hospice, Harold believes that as long as he walks, Queenie will live.

A novel of charm, humor, and profound insight into the thoughts and feelings we all bury deep within our hearts,
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry introduces Rachel Joyce as a wise--and utterly irresistible--storyteller.

Journal Entry 2 by ukcanaus at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, May 08, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (5/8/2017 UTC) at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

I read this nearly 5 years ago (has it been that long??), and really enjoyed it - I still think about the story, which I think is good sign! It is sentimental without being soppy, and a lovely tale of friendship & new beginnings.

This copy sourced via Better World Books is on its way to another BCer - I hope you enjoy it too.

Journal Entry 3 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Friday, June 09, 2017
As always on my birthday - you do spoil me! And as we have a tendency to enjoy the same books, I'm sure I'll like this one as well.

Journal Entry 4 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, June 21, 2018
A lovely story about love, friendship and seeing the best in people. Harold goes through a wonderful journey where he has the chance to reflect over what life has been like, and what life might become. We might all need a journey like this in life?
Alas, it is not only about Harolds changing view on life, but also how his journey effects everyone he meets on the way, to some sort of degree.
A lovely read, thank you for passing this little gem on to me.

Journal Entry 5 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, September 27, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (9/27/2018 UTC) at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway

Mjau!

Journal Entry 6 by ellamiss at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 08, 2018
Purrrr! This looks like a really good book.

Journal Entry 7 by ellamiss at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (5/8/2019 UTC) at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden

I don't think I've read anything like this before.
Passing it on to a friend.

Journal Entry 8 by Lakrits at Gävle, Gästrikland Sweden on Sunday, August 18, 2019
A nice little read.