The Martian

by Andy Weir | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 1101905555 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Jessi626 of Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on 5/6/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Jessi626 from Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Saturday, May 06, 2017
A Mission to Mars. A freak accident. One Man's struggle to survive.

When a dust storm forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, astronaut Mark Watney finds himself stranded on Mars's surface, completely alone. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity, his engineering skills - and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strenght - Mark embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive. But will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?

Awesome book! I loved the movie and the book was even better. It's really fascinating and I wonder how long it will be until something like this could become reality.
There's lots of science in this book. Although for most of it I can't tell if it's accurate or not, it does make sense at least. Despite all the tragedy and struggle, it also has some humorous parts, which I enjoyed.

This is gonna be a ring. (I don't mind if it travels slowly.) Participants so far:
Urfin
tiger-kuh-katze (July or later)
...
and back to me please.

Journal Entry 2 by Jessi626 at Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Monday, May 29, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (5/23/2017 UTC) at Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

On its way to Urfin.

Journal Entry 3 by wingUrfinwing at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Monday, June 05, 2017
Book's here. I'm looking forward to read this one :o)

Journal Entry 4 by wingUrfinwing at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Sunday, June 11, 2017
Started reading yesterday (es ging mit meinem Sachbuch nicht weiter und ich brauchte was Spannendes:) and am already enthraled...
SOL
Three's company, Dukes of Hazzard, Hefty loan & leaf bag
"I came back to the Hab, had some lunch, and worked on my crops for the rest of the sol." (p.84)
"Live and learn." (p.128)
"To me, it's Tuesday." (p.178) I found this on a Street Fighter webpage: The meme is generally used ... to call a very dramatic event insignificant.
"Life is tenacious. They don't want to die any more than I do." (p.264, he refers to soil bacteria)
and after that I almost breathlessly turned pages...

Finished Monday night, there was just no way putting it down to get some sleep!

I thoroughly enjoyed this! It is strong in many aspects.
You follow a guy solving one problem* after another.
Also, watching someone dealing with really existential problems renders your own ones somewhat/relatively smaller.
And then there are the scientific / historic facts
and language
and humor :o)

* Only recently I followed this TED talk in which Barbara Sher describes humans as problem-solving animals (not the first time I came across this idea) and that you should rephrase a wish of yours as a problem because people will jump on the opportunity to help solve it...

Journal Entry 5 by wingUrfinwing at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Sunday, July 02, 2017
Still waiting for a reply from tiger-kuh-katze...

Watched the movie last night and the rest this morning (longer than two hours is not manageable after the children finally are asleep;) it had a completely new ending

Journal Entry 6 by wingUrfinwing at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Friday, July 21, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (7/21/2017 UTC) at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany

It's packed and I'll send it home today.

Journal Entry 7 by Jessi626 at Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Saturday, August 19, 2017
It arrived already a while ago. I forgot to make an entry, sorry!

Journal Entry 8 by tiger-kuh-katze at Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, October 21, 2017

liebe Jessi, vielen tausend Dank!

mein erstes richtig freies Wochenende und richtig gute Lektüre!
gerade das richtige Buch dazu ...

tolle praxis hier, tolle Kollegen - nur einfach zuviel zu tun..

Journal Entry 9 by tiger-kuh-katze at Oberthal, Saarland Germany on Sunday, December 03, 2017
Buch an eine liebe Arbeitskollegin ausgeliehen.
Bekomme es im Januar zurück.