People of the Whale: A Novel

by Linda Hogan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Tuanita of Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on 4/30/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Tuanita from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, April 30, 2017
“Deeply ecological, original, and spellbinding... [A] hauntingly beautiful novel of the hidden dimensions of life.” —Booklist, starred review

Raised in a remote seaside village, Thomas Witka Just marries Ruth, whom he has loved since infancy. But an ill-fated decision to fight in Vietnam changes his life forever. Cut off from his Native American community, he fathers a child with another woman. When he returns home a hero, he finds his tribe in conflict over the decision to hunt a whale, both a symbol of spirituality and rebirth and a means of survival. Meanwhile, Lin, his daughter, searches for the man she remembers from her childhood and, in America, finds someone greatly changed. Thomas tries to reconcile his two lives, only to see tragedy befall the family he left behind so many years ago.

Journal Entry 2 by Tuanita at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, April 30, 2017
It was my first time with Linda Hogan and I don’t regret one single minute I spent with this book…
Linda Hogan is apparently more known to the public from her poetry books and, damn, you can see her poetry in this book too…
The writing is beautiful, although sometimes a little too repetitive. Sometimes she could get to the point in one sentence and takes 2 pages instead (main reason for the rate of 7, and not 8 or 9). But I felt involved, I felt I was part of the community, I was there at the reservation.
This book is divided into 3 parts: The 1st part is about the magic of being in harmony with the place you live, in this case the sea. The 2nd part describes Thomas’ war experience and his life growing rice. Finally, the 3rd part is about… the old ways, the songs, healing…
The magic present in the 1st part is no longer there on the 2nd and 3rd parts. Ruth is definitely a symbol of the harmony between humans, whales, sea…
It pisses me off that the synopsis of the books says that this story is about Thomas, when I think it should be about Ruth… anyway, just details... you should read it.

Journal Entry 3 by Tuanita at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, June 25, 2017
Reservado para a Bookbox virtual Livros&Coisas

Journal Entry 4 by Tuanita at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Monday, October 02, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/2/2017 UTC) at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal

Sent to Arvores as part of the BookBox Livros & Coisas

Journal Entry 5 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Arrived today, safe and sound. Thank you so much for sharing.

Obrigado! :-)