Black Creek

by Gregory Lamberson | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/1/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, May 01, 2017
I got this softcover at the local library's annual book sale. It's set in Black Creek Village, formerly the infamous Love Canal, site of massive toxic-chemical contamination, but while the locale and its past are all too real, the story takes things quite a bit farther. It seems all those toxins caused mutations resulting in a tribe of dangerous mutants...

The cover-art gives away part of this, though it suggests that the threat is a single bigfoot-type monster. The mutants themselves don't make an obvious appearance for quite a while, though, with the story focusing more on the effects of a disastrous blizzard that gradually isolates people and in some cases causes deadly accidents. But the monsters are happy to profit from this, and to take action themselves when needed, and eventually the story switches from near-Arctic survival to fight-the-monsters.

I admit I much preferred the initial setup, where the weather and the still-oozing chemical toxins presented the main threat. It was all too easy to sense the growing fear of people stuck in houses where the water supply has turned to acid and the sump pump is backing up with black goo... I could have done without the mutants altogether. Even the final confrontation with the mutants seemed hasty and rather too easily resolved. But that claustrophobic blizzard, now - that was scary!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Putney Road in Brattleboro, Vermont USA on Monday, March 19, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/19/2018 UTC) at Putney Road in Brattleboro, Vermont USA

I left this book on a bench outside the Colonial Motel on Putney; hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2018 Four Elements Release Challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by Jennybear407 at Brattleboro, Vermont USA on Monday, April 09, 2018
Not bad. Not the greatest either. I most likely wouldn't read it again but it was entertaining.