Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians Trilogy)

Look! A wild book!
by Kevin Kwan | Women's Fiction |
Registered by megami-no-ushi of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 11/10/2018
Journal Entry 1 by megami-no-ushi from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2018
I loved the movie so I had to get the book - there are some interesting differences between them so both are worth the time!

"There's rich, there's filthy rich, and then there's crazy rich . . . A Pride and Prejudice-like send-up about an heir bringing his Chinese-American girlfriend home to meet his ancestor-obsessed family, the book hilariously skewers imperial splendor and the conniving antics of the Asians jet set." --People
When Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home, long drives to explore the island, and quality time with the man she might one day marry. What she doesn't know is that Nick's family home happens to look like a palace, that she'll ride in more private planes than cars, and that with one of Asia's most eligible bachelors on her arm, Rachel might as well have a target on her back. Initiated into a world of dynastic splendor beyond imagination, Rachel meets Astrid, the It Girl of Singapore society; Eddie, whose family practically lives in the pages of Hong Kong Tatler; and Eleanor, Nick's formidable mother, a woman who has very strong feelings about who her son should--and should not--marry. Uproarious, addictive, and filled with jaw-dropping opulence, Crazy Rich Asians is an insider's look at the Asian Jet Set, a perfect depiction of the clash between old money and new money, between Overseas Chinese and Mainland Chinese, and a fabulous novel about what it means to be young, in love, and gloriously, disgustingly rich.

Journal Entry 2 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (11/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the November meeting!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 3 by Ashtoash at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 08, 2018
What a delightful read! I enjoyed this book and characters so much that I "read" the next two books in the sequel right after finishing this one.

I'm bringing it back to the Calgary Bookcrossing meeting today.

Journal Entry 4 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 09, 2018
Picked up at the December meet up. Adding it to my TBR shelf.

At this meeting we had 11 bookcrossers and lots of books.

Journal Entry 5 by Crossing-Guard at Langdon, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 12, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (1/12/2019 UTC) at Langdon, Alberta Canada

Loved this one. Passing to the next reading.

Journal Entry 6 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 12, 2019
Brought this home from the January Meet up at Cravings.

Journal Entry 7 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019
I watched the movie when I was half way through and there were spots when I realized they had taken their own turns in the story. Loved seeing the pictures of Singapore as it brought back a lot of memories. The descriptions of Hong Kong that were in the book (but not in the movie) brought up another whole set of pics from when we spent time there at the end of the cruise. The escalators are truly amazing as they run up the mountain.

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (3/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the March meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 9 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019
Picked up at the March meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 10 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (5/11/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the May meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 11 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2019
picked up at the May meeting

Journal Entry 12 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 21, 2019
A great behind-the-scenes look at the lives of the over-the-top rich and famous, as well as the high society life of Hong Kong and Singapore. No idea how accurate it is, but since I'm never going to be hobnobbing the with elite, really doesn't matter!

Journal Entry 13 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 08, 2019
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing June meet-up. I've seen the movie, so now it's time to check out the series.

Journal Entry 14 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 12, 2019
Since I saw the movie before reading the book, my opinion is kind of skewed to like the movie more. The characters of Rachel and Eleanor are much stronger in the movie. In the book, Eleanor came off as extremely petty and Rachel doesn't do much to stand up for herself. With that said, I don't hate the book. It's an amusing read. I want to believe that the author is exaggerating when describing how the ultra rich live, but I have the feeling this is an instance of the truth being stranger than fiction.

Oh, and I now know how to spell certain words in Cantonese that I've only heard spoken, so the book also has that going for it.

Journal Entry 15 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (7/13/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing July meet-up.

Journal Entry 16 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2019
Caught at local book crossing meetup. Really looking forward to this trilogy.

Journal Entry 17 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2019
Good story, easy read, overall enjoyable.

Journal Entry 18 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (9/14/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Controlled release at local meetup

Journal Entry 19 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 15, 2019
Picked this up at the September BookCrossing meeting.