Compartment No. 6

by Rosa Liksom | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Tarna of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 4/23/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Tarna from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, April 23, 2017
Original Finnish title Hytti nro 6 (2011). Translated by Lola Rogers. London: Serpentʼs Tail 2014. Paperback, 182 pages.
Cover photography © of Image Source. Cover design by kid-ethic.com

Front cover:
ʼHer pen is like an arctic pen with eastern flavoursʼ
SOFI OKSANEN

WINNER English PEN AWARD

Back cover:
WINNER OF THE 2011 FINLANDIA PRIZE
ʼMoscow hunkered down into a dry, frozen March evening, sheltering itself from the touch of an icy sun setting red. The girl boarded the last sleeping car at the tail end of the train, found her cabin — compartment number six — and took a deep breath ...ʼ

Front flap:
A sad young woman boards the Trans-Siberian Railway in Moscow. Bound for Mongolia, sheʼs trying to leave a broken relationship as far behind her as she can. Wanting to be alone, she chooses an empty compartment — No. 6 — but her solitude is soon shattered by the arrival of a fellow passenger: Vadim Nikolayevich Ivanov, a grizzled, opinionated and foul-mouthed ex-soldier. Vadim fills the compartment with long and colourful stories, recounting his sexual conquests and violent fights in lurid detail.
At first, the young woman is not so much shocked as disgusted by Vadim, but as their train cuts slowly across a wintery Russia, where ʼeverything is in motion: snow, water, air, clouds, wind, towns, villages, people and ideasʼ, a grudging kind of companionship grows between the two, and the girl realises that if she works out how to listen, Vadimʼs stories may just contain lessons for her.

Back flap:
Rosa Liksom is a Finnish artist and the author of over a dozen books. She won the Finlandia prize in 2011 for Compartment No. 6.

Rosa Liksom at English Penʼs World Bookshelf
Rosa Liksom at Wikipedia
Too much or too little love at Books from Finland 1/1987
rosaliksom.com in English

Lola Rogers at English Penʼs World Bookshelf

Compartment No. 6 at English Penʼs World Bookshelf
Compartment No. 6 at rosaliksom.com
A journey to enjoy — and endure: Compartment No 6 by Rosa Liksom at The Irish Times (May 10, 2014)
Compartment No 6 by Rosa Liksom at The Bookbag (Nov. 2, 2014)
Compartment No. 6 at Publishers Weekly (June 6, 2016)
Review: 'Compartment No. 6,' by Rosa Liksom, translated from the Finnish by Lola Rogers at StarTribune (July 29, 2016)
Compartment No. 6 at Kirkus Review (Aug. 2, 2016)
Compartment No. 6: A Novel at Washington Independent Review of Books (Aug. 2, 2016)
Compartment No. 6 by Rosa Liksom at The Rumpus (Aug. 14, 2016)

Journal Entry 2 by Tarna at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, April 23, 2017
I read Hytti nro 6 as a ring book some five years ago and loved it very much. It was the first time I read anything from Rosa Liksom, and I was very pleasantly surprised. For instance, I liked the slow-speed pace, silence of the girl, and introverted atmosphere in the compartment, the fact that the girl didnʼt meet other passengers in the train. Most of all, I liked the way Soviet Union came alive in the story, like it never hadnʼt died. Iʼve visited both Soviet Union and Russia few times and the book presented the country just as lively, hearty, contradictory, intriguing, and awkward as Iʼve experienced it.
When the 2011 Finlandia Prize winner was announced, there were contradictory voices. Some said Liksom earned the prize, the others stated that she shouldnʼt have won. When looking at the journal of the copy I read, I see the same kind of opinions in there, too. Some of us really enjoyed the story, others were ambivalent and got bored in the train but liked the way Soviet Union was described. Admittedly, Compartment No. 6 is pretty controversial but also interesting.
For the time being, this book is reserved.

Journal Entry 3 by Tarna at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (10/25/2017 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Offered this book in greenbadger's One book a month thread. In the draw, Lubiette won the book.
HAPPY READING!

Journal Entry 4 by wingLubiettewing at Kallithea - Καλλιθέα, Attica Greece on Friday, November 03, 2017
Thank you, Tarna ! The book arrived safely today with the beautiful postcard and bookmark. It goes on the top of my TBR as I can't wait to read it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLubiettewing at Kallithea - Καλλιθέα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, November 07, 2017
What a beautiful piece of writing ! Nothing really thrilling happens in this story evolving as slowly as the long train journey from Moscow to Mongolia, just the magic of the words describing the places, the people and the relation between the silent Girl and the strange Man sharing her compartment. I loved this unusual novel, its atmosphere and rythm. Thank you again for sharing ,Tarna.

Journal Entry 6 by wingLubiettewing at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 10, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (11/10/2017 UTC) at By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Tag Game. In the mail to Arvores, happy reading !

Journal Entry 7 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Thursday, November 16, 2017
I've heard about this book from a finnish friend and since then I felt very curious about it.

It has arrived yesterday, safe and sound, with beautiful stamps on the envelope.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Oh, what a great book!
I truly enjoyed travelling with the characters to Mongolia, although the trip was everything but smooth. I admire the way the author could make me feel the mystical changes of weather, the landscapes and all the little details about people and circumstances. That's what really makes this book so special.
I have another book by Rosa Liksom, a collection of short stories and her only book that I know of that has been translated into Portuguese. I'm very curious to read it.

Thank you so much for sharing this book. And to my friend Mirka for suggesting it.
Kiitos :-)

It will soon be sent to mcsar, after the wish list tag game.

Journal Entry 9 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Friday, September 21, 2018
Sent to mcsar today.
Enjoy! :-)

Journal Entry 10 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, October 16, 2018
Thanks for tagging me with the book. I have been interested in the book since I became aware of it in the One Book a Month thread. I really look forward to reading this.

=====
Reserved as a wishlist tag to Tanamo.

Journal Entry 11 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, November 26, 2020
I enjoyed travelling with the unlikely pair too and being immersed in the sense of place. It was interesting to read of the different faces of the Soviet Union and to see how the relationship of the two main characters grew. I grew to like the crude man more and more, though I would probably be scared to travel with him. This is not a page turner where an intense plot line carries the reader along, but it is a fascinating read in its own way.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, December 04, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (12/5/2020 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

Going to the next reader as part of the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 13 by wingTanamowing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 05, 2021
The book has arrived safely. Thank you.