Larceny and Old Lace

by Tamar Myers | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 3/14/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 14, 2004
Picked up at the used bookstore.

#15 registration for the BC Anniversary/Race to a Million challenge.

From the cover -
As owner of the Den of Antiquity, recently divorced (but never bitter!) Abigail Timberlake is accustomed to delving into the past, searching for lost treasures, and navigating the cutthroat world of rival dealers at flea markets and auctions. Still, she never thought she'd be putting her expertise in mayhem and detecton to other use - until crotchety "junque" dealer, Abby's aunt Eulonia Wiggins, was found murdered!
Although Abigail is puzzled by the instrument of death - an exquisite antique bell pull that Aunt Eulonia never would have had the taste to acquire - she's willing to let the authorities find the culprit. But now, Auntie's priceless lace collection is missing, and somebody's threatened Abby's most priceless possession: her son, Charlie. It's up to Abby to put the murderer "on the block."

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2012
Finally got around to reading this, after all these years. I'm undecided about Myers' books. I've read the first 2 in her Pennsylvania Dutch series, and of course this is the first book in her Den of Antiquity series. I loved the setting amongst antique dealers in North Carolina, and I loved learning about an antique (in this case, a bit of exquisite antique lace). However, I found myself confusing some of the characters and not being able to keep track of them all. Perhaps that's just because this is a new series, and she's trying to introduce them all. And of course, sometimes the books improve as a series continues. And I do have a couple more books in this series, so I think I'll be trying some more. In the end, the killer totally came out of left field. So I'm not sure I liked that part, but it was a satisfying conclusion, so she gets points for that.

This will be going off soon on a surprise RABCK. Hope the next reader enjoys it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (6/6/2012 UTC) at Taneytown, Maryland USA

Sent this off on an international RABCK today, as a hitchhiker along with another book. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, June 12, 2012
What a lovely surprise! Not one, but two wishlist books! Have not read any of this series, but I love the cover and hope it bodes well. I had my birthday not so long ago, so I feel like antique myself...

Journal Entry 5 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, March 21, 2014
I'm making more than mental notes that I've tagged 3vie with this book.
Sadly maryzee who sent me this book passed away just a few months after, but hopefully she can see from her cloud that her books are still travelling!

Journal Entry 6 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 22, 2014
The book has been on the Serenissima Cruise ship with me for the past week travelling from Helsinki-Venice-Sibenik-Korcula-Kotor-Dubrovnic-Split-Pula-Venice-Helsinki. Finished it last night in a plane on top of Germany. First one of this series for me and I did like it, might put others by the same author on my wishlist.
Goes next to 3vie although this book SHOULD have been released in Venice, where the old lace comes from. I've just talked to a Venetian lace shop keeper yesterday and he said his youngest professional lace maker is 75 yrs old - the younger generation just isn't interested as it's too much trouble. You'll get the same money from one trip on Gondola than of three day's work making lace.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkirjakkowing at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, April 25, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (4/28/2014 UTC) at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Lace on its way to the UK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, May 17, 2014
Gaaa! I have been wondering why this book has not arrived as I sent it out at the same time with another book which has arrived in Spain ages ago. Mystery solved: It was under my bed!!! Will post it pronto. Sorry about the delay!

Journal Entry 9 by wingkirjakkowing at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, May 26, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (5/18/2014 UTC) at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

First I make a release note and drop the book under my bed. Then I sent it off (the book, not the bed) and forget to make the release note. Well, I come from a family with Alzheimers - and it begins to show!
Enjoy this well-travelled wishlist tag book.

Journal Entry 10 by 3vie at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, June 09, 2014
Thankyou so much for this wishlist book. Its been on quite a journey around Europe kirjakko. I'm looking forward to reading it!