American Gods [TV Tie-In]: A Novel

by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/19/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 19, 2017
I got this hefty softcover at Barnes and Noble, so I can read it before the 2017 mini-series begins. (I love Gaiman's short stories and graphic novels, but have been iffier about his novels; will see how I like this one!) This is the tenth-anniversary edition, which Gaiman describes as his own ideal version, with corrections and expansions over the original.

Later: Interesting mix of vignettes and an over-arching war-of-old-gods-vs-new storyline, with bad-luck-magnet Shadow Moon as the focus character. I tended to like the vignettes best; they ranged from early Vikings bringing their own gods to the New World to a sweet/hot lusty encounter between a hapless salesman and a taxi-driving djinn, and touched on many different deities and the ways in which they wound up in the New World. [Some of the TV series' versions of these were different from the ones in the book, but I enjoyed those too.]

There's humor, horror, loss and regret, bold moves and blunders - and some thoughtful bits about the nature of belief and the clash of cultures. I still prefer Gaiman's short fiction, but this was worth reading.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 2 yrs ago (5/30/2017 UTC) at Mammoth Rd (see notes for details) in Londonderry, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, propped up on the gate of Londonderry's stone pound on Mammoth Rd; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 TV Series release challenge. ***