Smoke and Mirrors

by Elly Griffiths | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Tanamo of Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 4/18/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 18, 2017
Brighton, Winter 1951, where falling snow hides a sinister secret. Two children lie dead beneath it, the girl's red hair bright against the white ground, colourful sweets scattered around them. The eerie scene reminds DI Edgar Stephens uncomfortably of Hansel and Gretel.

With fairytales on his mind, he turns to magician and wartime comrade Max Mephisto, himself immersed in fantasy, starring in the pantomime on the pier. When a third body is found, Edgar enlists Max to help him navigate the shadowy theatrical world he believes holds the key to the murders.

But this is a world that thrives on deception, where the first rule is that nothing is quite as it seems - and Max and Edgar can't risk being led astray.

Journal Entry 2 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 13, 2017
Finished this book which had a sort of underlying creepiness to it. I never guessed the perpetrator and the ending made me shudder.

This book is now reserved for cross-patch.

Journal Entry 3 by Tanamo at South Croxton, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, May 19, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (5/19/2017 UTC) at South Croxton, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Sending to another bookcrosser via the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, May 22, 2017
Well, thank you Tanamo. A lovely surprise through the letterbox just now; of course I'd forgotten!

Journal Entry 5 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Such an enjoyable read; time flew by.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCross-patchwing at UK Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/30/2018 UTC) at UK Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

For Yorkshire-lass. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, February 03, 2018
Thank you for tagging me with this, I'm looking forward to reading it, I don't think it will be sitting on the book mountain for too long!

Journal Entry 8 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 13, 2018
I said that this would not be sitting on my book mountain for long! I think I enjoyed this even more than the first book in the series, the "bad guy" was a surprise. I will be putting the next book on my wishlist now.
I will be passing this to a non-Bookcrossing friend to read, she will hand it back to me when she has finished it and it will be made AVL again.

Journal Entry 9 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, September 27, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (9/28/2018 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

Going into Flutterbies9's Crime Bookbox.

Journal Entry 10 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 01, 2018
Choosing this from Flutterbie9's Crime book box was a no-brainer ;o)

Journal Entry 11 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 05, 2018
The 1950's isn't normally a period I'd pick to read about but Griffith's gentler (well, gentler compared to my normal gruesome reads!) mysteries with their likeable & interesting characters exert a definite pull & are a joy to read. This had the added bonus of murders based on fairy tales which is a theme I particularly enjoy - I've even learnt of a new one in "Hans My Hedgehog :o) There's plenty of misdirection, to use Max's terminology & while the clues are there - & on reflection some were quite blatant - I failed to see how things were going to tie up & was pleasantly caught out by the final events.

As I've said Griffiths, to my mind anyway, creates believable characters, & in the Ruth Galloway series, I'm finding myself hooked more on the relationships between the characters rather than the actual murder mystery. I can feel myself heading the same way here. Once again there is a love triangle of sorts, although in Max, Edgar & Ruby's case it's between father, friend & daughter rather than three lovers. I foresee the potential for conflict ahead & think a fallout could be on the cards. Still, I hope we see a bit more of Ruby next time.

Looking forward to the next instalment as I'm intrigued as to what impact Max's father will have on the mix.

Now reserved for Nu-knees

Journal Entry 12 by wingPlum-crazywing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/11/2018 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Nu-knees....hope you enjoy this series too :o)

Journal Entry 13 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 13, 2018
Wonderful, thank you, what a lovely Christmas box! I've been devouring the Ruth Galloway mysteries since I read my first one in October (yes, I was late to the party) and am currently engrossed in the 7th . . . Because of the interesting development in the characters' relationships in that series, I've decided to read this series in order as well - and have already downloaded the first, The Zig Zag Girl, to my Kindle since opening your parcel about an hour ago!
Thank you for suggesting these to me, plum, and a very Big Thank You for sending me this one!
And a Very Happy Christmas to its previous owners who are reading this Journal Entry! I think I might have met you all at one time or another :-)

Journal Entry 14 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 20, 2018
Well that was fantastic, totally engrossing. I'm really getting into this series, I love it! Thank you again, plum-crazy, for the introduction - much appreciated!

Journal Entry 15 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Ripley, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 01, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (2/1/2019 UTC) at Ripley, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

In the hands of the postal service to fulfil a Wishlist wish. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by doodleali at Arnold, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 04, 2019
This book was received in the post this morning. A RABCK from Nu-Knees thank you. I am enthusiastic about reading this after seeing Elly Griffiths talk at Waterstones where she explained that it was inspired by her Grandfather who had been a magician.