Marina

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by maria-gr of Camden, Greater London United Kingdom on 4/17/2017
Journal Entry 1 by maria-gr from Camden, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 17, 2017
"In May 1980, fifteen year old Oscar Drai vanishes fro his boarding school in Barcelona. For seven days and nights no one knows his whereabouts.

His story begins in the heart of old Barcelona, when he meets Marina and her father German Blau, a portrait painter. Marina takes Óscar to a cemetery to watch a macabre ritual that occurs on the fourth Sunday of each month. At 10 a.m. precisely a coach pulled by black horses appears. From it descends a woman dressed in black, her face shrouded, wearing gloves, holding a single rose. She walks over to a gravestone that bears no name, only the mysterious emblem of a black butterfly with open wings.

When Óscar and Marina decide to follow her they begin a journey that will take them to the heights of a forgotten, post-war Barcelona, a world of aristocrats and actresses, inventors and tycoons; and a dark secret that lies waiting in the mysterious labyrinth beneath the city streets. "

This is another page turner by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, though you have to suspend disbelief at some plot points.

Released 2 yrs ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

This book will be released during the BookCrossing Anniversary Convention.

Journal Entry 3 by faerie-glen at Weil am Rhein, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Taken home from the Oslo convention.

Journal Entry 4 by faerie-glen at Weil am Rhein, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, June 07, 2017
Definitely a book meant for younger readers.
The main problem is that the young protagonists rarely do very much, while the really interesting story (which took place decades in the past) ist being told to them in long, clunky info dumps. There's a good plot here, but it's not being told very well.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMoriquenwing at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, June 15, 2017
Thanks for sending this my way, faerie-glen. Many of my pupils do enjoy his YA novels, but I've always had problems with the Dutch translations. (They were translated with parts of the Spanish sentence structure still intact and that annoyed the hell out of me.) I hope I'll like the English translation better!

Journal Entry 6 by wingMoriquenwing at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, March 26, 2019
I'm not entirely enthusiastic about this book. It had good parts with pretty descriptions, it had scary parts, but I often felt that in some parts the book switches from description to very scary within a few seconds. And a good scary story is one that builds itself up. The frightning part doesn't lie in the grotesque figures, but in the slow creepy building of a tense atmosphere and that is lacking in this book. From 0 to 100 in a couple of seconds, but that doesn't make it a scary book or a good one. In the appendix Zafon mentioned that he refrained from editing a book to leave it in its original form, but perhaps he should have done so anyway.
I don't know where the book will go to, but I'll keep it travelling onward! Thanks for sending it to me faerie-glen and for starting the book on its joruney, maria-gr.

Released 7 mos ago (6/5/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library Boechoutlei in Mortsel, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Geruild in het nieuwe boekenruilkastje in Mortsel. Veel plezier ermee!
Swapped in the new little free library in Mortsel. Happy travels little book!

Hallo daar, gelukkige vinder!

Wat leuk dat je op deze pagina bent komen kijken. Als je dit leest, heb je een boek gevonden, zomaar een onverwacht cadeautje van mij voor jou. Veel plezier ermee! Wat is nu de bedoeling?

1. Het zou fijn zijn als je meldt dat het veilig bij jou is. Dat mag gewoon in het Nederlands en kan anoniem als je dit zou willen.
2. Daarna kun je het boek gaan lezen en als je wilt nog eens schrijven wat je ervan vond.
3. Mag het boek verder reizen? Geef het dan door aan iemand anders of laat het zomaar ergens weer achter, liefst op een veilige, droge plek. Je kunt via de bookcross-site ook weer melden waar je het hebt neergelegd, zodat anderen ernaar op zoek kunnen gaan.

TIP: Als je het boek op zijn reis wilt volgen, dan kun je je best aanmelden als nieuwe bookcrosser (www.bookcrossing.com/join). Het is erg leuk om erachter te komen hoe het met 'jouw' boek op z'n reis verder gaat!!