Missing Microbes: How The Overuse Of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our M

by Martin Blaser | Science | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 1443420247 Global Overview for this book
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 4/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 15, 2017
Picked up from a little free library to pass along to my dad.

From Chapters:
A critical call to arms about the harmful effects of some of our most revered modern medical practices.
Welcome to the wilds of the microbiome, where for hundreds of thousands of years bacterial and human cells have co-existed in a peaceful symbiosis that is responsible for the equilibrium and health of our bodies. But now this invisible Eden is under assault. Our overreliance on medical advances such as antibiotics and Cesarean sections is threatening the extinction of these irreplaceable microbes and leading to severe health problems.
In Missing Microbes, Dr. Martin Blaser goes back to the discovery of antibiotics, which ushered in a golden age of medicine, and traces how our subsequent overuse of these supposed wonder drugs has left its mark on our systems and contributed to the rise of what Blaser calls our modern plagues: obesity, asthma, allergies, diabetes and certain forms of cancer. Blaser's studies suggest that antibiotic use during early childhood poses the greatest risk to long-term health; alarmingly, American children receive on average seventeen courses of antibiotics before they are twenty years old. His studies also suggest that C-sections deprive babies of important contact with their mothers' microbiomes.
Taking us into the lab to explain his groundbreaking studies, Blaser not only provides elegant support for his theories but guides us toward avoiding even more catastrophic health problems in the future.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 18, 2019
Dad thought this book was very interesting. He insists I read it, but it holds no interest for me so I'll be passing it along.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Little Free Library in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 13, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (4/13/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library in Burlington, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.