My Last Lament

by James William Brown | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Bookdiva17 of Golden Valley, Minnesota USA on 4/9/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Bookdiva17 from Golden Valley, Minnesota USA on Sunday, April 09, 2017
This is a beautifully written novel focusing on the lives of three young people struggling to create lives in Greece in the aftermath of WWII and their relationships with each other. Aliki, a lamenter is our narrator and we see everything through her eyes as she recalls her life for an American researcher. Aliki's life becomes entwined with Takis a young boy in her village and Stelios, a Jew hiding in Takis' house with his mother Sophia when Takis' mother Chrysoula takes Aliki in after the execution of her father. They will find themselves bound together forever whether they want to be or not as circumstances take them through Athens, Crete and an island (with a detention center). It's an emotional story with sadness, mental illness,secrets, love and jealousy. I highly recommend this book to those who like well done literary fiction. (less)

Journal Entry 2 by Bookdiva17 at Dunn Bros. Coffee in Golden Valley, Minnesota USA on Friday, April 28, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (4/28/2017 UTC) at Dunn Bros. Coffee in Golden Valley, Minnesota USA

Left on the free book shelf by the fireplace.