corner corner When the Emperor Was Divine

When the Emperor Was Divine
by Julie Otsuka | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingvaga-bondewing of Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on 4/6/2017

status (set by snoopy56): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingvaga-bondewing from Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Thursday, April 06, 2017

Explores the internment of Japanese Americans during WW2.
Very simple but moving voice.

Journal Entry 2 by wingvaga-bondewing at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Friday, May 26, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (5/27/2017 UTC) at Washington, District of Columbia USA

for Fifna, who had this book on her wishlist.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, June 03, 2017

Thank you very much, vaga-bonde for this wishlist book! I'm really looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, September 20, 2017

I enjoyed this book. I had read a little about the Japanese internment in the US in WW2, and it's an interesting subject. The style is very bare-bones, matter-of-factly almost, which reduces it purely to the story itself. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by wingFifnawing at BCUK UnConvention 2017 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Released 11 mos ago (9/22/2017 UTC) at BCUK UnConvention 2017 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Taking it to the Unconvention for the bookswap game.

Journal Entry 6 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2017

I'm glad I got this book in the book swap game. I have family in Hawaii with Japanese connections through marriage and heard about the internment of Japanese Americans.

Journal Entry 7 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 11, 2017

I found this incredibly sad. It reminded me a bit of the book written by Anne Frank’s sister about being a Jew in Austria. Obviously the Japanese internees were treated better by the authorities but it’s that turning against those who were once your friends and neighbours which has parallels. I found the writing style lovely. It drew me in.

I am going to offer this to JemmaJ who first stole it in the book swap game.

Journal Entry 8 by wingPoodlesisterwing at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, October 22, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (10/23/2017 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending to JemmaJ who first picked this in the Book Swap game at the Loughborough Uncon. Please pass onto Snoopy56 who "stole" it from you when you've finished with it.

Journal Entry 9 by JemmaJ at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Ooh thanks Poodlesister! I will read this as quick as I can and get it posted to Snoopy56!!

Journal Entry 10 by JemmaJ at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 06, 2018

Took me a while to start this book, as I had so many books on my TRB Pile. When I did start this book, I whizzed through it. I did not really understand what was going on, but it was an interesting read!

I am just waiting for"Snoopy56" to reply to my message with their address...

Journal Entry 11 by snoopy56 at Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, August 20, 2018

Thanks Poodlesister and JemmaJ for passing this book on. I had previously read “The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet” which has a similar theme to this book. The issue of Japanese families living in America during WWII was not something I had previously been aware of. This short novel describes the experience of one such family very vividly including the difficulties faced after the war ended.