The Cocoanut Grove Fire (New England Remembers)

by Stephanie Schorow | History | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 4/3/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, April 03, 2017
For an earlier round of the Local History Sweepstakes, I sent another book about this same tragedy, so I will copy the journal entry here, with appropriate modifications.
--------
I've chosen this as the book to send for the Local History sweepstakes. I have a somewhat personal connection to the Cocoanut Grove fire and have read everything written about it that I can get my hands on. Books about this deadly Boston fire are not so easy to find, so I was happy to get this copy for this sweepstakes.

Personal connection? My father (before he met my mom and settled down) was a frequent visitor to the Cocoanut Grove nightclub. On November 28, 1942, he had been out to a football game (not the one mentioned in the book) and had been planning to go to the club that evening. He decided to go home first and rest and freshen up, then go back out to the Cocoanut Grove. As sometimes happens, once he was home he lost the desire to go out so, thankfully, stayed in the house. Had he gone to the Grove that evening, he would have only had about a 50% chance of survival, so I might never have been born. That's personal enough! And my dad wouldn't have had the full life he did, including his volunteer work at the Shriners' Burns Institute here in Boston.

Fate was on my dad's side, but many of his acquaintances were not so lucky. He knew a married couple that were expecting their first child; they did not survive. As it was, he had to go to the morgue and identify his younger neighbor, whom Dad had first introduced to the club. I don't think Dad ever got over that.

A visit to almost any local cemetery reveals the horror. The cemetery in Dad's home town of Braintree has an entire section where most of the stones say 1942 and some even specify November 28, 1942, including the young couple mentioned above.

And the story of Clifford Johnson still sends chills up my spine...
-----------------
There is one paragraph in this book (page 73) that questions the stories of people who almost went to the club that night:
"The number of people who 'were' going to the club that night until something turned them away has expanded to the point of statistical impossibility."

But I still believe my dad's story. :-)

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, April 03, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (4/3/2017 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to the winner of the Local History sweepstakes. I hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Monday, April 10, 2017
Arrived safely today. Thank you very much for sending

Journal Entry 4 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 12, 2017
This was a very interesting and sad account of what happend in the cocoanut Grive nightclub. Thank you very much again for sending me this book

Released 4 yrs ago (4/13/2017 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending off to one of the winners of my 4th Bookiversary RABCK

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

***Please Note***
to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 6 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Monday, April 24, 2017
Arrived today, thanks so much and also for everything you sent with the book :)

Journal Entry 7 by Bjorg at Clonsilla, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Ireland on Thursday, August 06, 2020

Released 8 mos ago (8/7/2020 UTC) at Clonsilla, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Ireland

Congratulations :) you won the no-fiction sweeps :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, August 21, 2020
Thanks again, Bjorg, for this 2nd book, it might end up in my LFL to share with my neighbours after reading it...

Journal Entry 9 by wingestelle1806wing at OBCZLittle Free Library#64045 in Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, March 08, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (3/8/2021 UTC) at OBCZLittle Free Library#64045 in Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland

Please let us know when you release it again...