Buriel Rites

by Kent Hannah | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingJ4Shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 3/29/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4Shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Wednesday, March 29, 2017
About the Book:
In northern Iceland, 1829, Agnes Magnúsdóttir is condemned to death for her part in the brutal murder of two men. Agnes is sent to wait out the time leading to her execution on the farm of District Officer Jón Jónsson, his wife and their two daughters. Horrified to have a convicted murderess in their midst, the family avoids speaking with Agnes.

Only Tóti, the young assistant reverend appointed as Agnes’s spiritual guardian, is compelled to try to understand her, as he attempts to salvage her soul.

As the summer months fall away to winter and the hardships of rural life force the household to work side by side, Agnes’s ill-fated tale of longing and betrayal begins to emerge. And as the days to her execution draw closer, the question burns: did she or didn’t she?

WINNER OF THE ABIA LITERARY FICTION BOOK OF THE YEAR 2014
WINNER OF THE FAW CHRISTINA STEAD AWARD 2013
WINNER OF THE INDIE AWARDS DEBUT FICTION OF THE YEAR 2014
WINNER OF THE VICTORIAN PREMIER’S LITERARY AWARD PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD 2014
WINNER OF THE SMH BEST YOUNG AUSTRALIAN NOVELIST 2014

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4Shawwing at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, March 30, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (3/31/2017 UTC) at Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Picked this up at a charity shop for $1 as I knew it'd fit in great for the challenge.

I read a different copy of this book in 2015 Burial Rites

My Review:
Now firstly, this is not my typical genre. The book was sent to me by Billbooks with a "you'll enjoy this" note.
And I did. How could I not?!
The author has done a brilliant job of telling Agnes' story. The writing enables you to feel the Icelandic chill and there is so much raw emotion from numerous characters that you become totally bewitched in the tale.
I can appreciate why this book has so many Award stickers on the cover.
On a side note, my Great Great Great Grandmother was the last person to be hung at Pendle Hill in Lancashire, accused of being a witch. She died, so clearly did not possess the witchcraft ability to get herself out of the situation by using means of which she was accused of.
I think because of this being in my family history, I felt a kinship to this book's story.
Great Aussie author, and certainly one to watch.

This book has been played in the 2017 Australian Literature Sweepstakes

(I always add physical postage stamps to my packages. If you are not a collector yourself, check out the I collect postage stamps because... thread to find them a happy home.)

Journal Entry 3 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, April 17, 2017
Thank you J4Shaw for running the Australian Day sweepstake, which I look forward to each year. And thanks to your partner for randomly picking me as the winner.

This book looks right up my alley, and further reinforces to me the diversity of Australian literature.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, January 27, 2020
Fascinating. What a limited place to be a woman, especially if you were poor and alone. This story revolves around the domestic life of people on farms, with occasional official letters indicating that there is a much larger world at play which impacts their lives without their ability to influence.

Highly recommended.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Released 6 mos ago (2/5/2020 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Celebrating the land of koalas, wombats, and eucalyptus. This is part of the annual “Australian day sweepstake” 2020.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, February 24, 2020
The book is here, many thanks!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, July 03, 2020
When I started reading this I wasn't sure if it's my cup of tea, as it seemed like 'just' a historical love story and another regular murder mystery, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Excellent writing, so vivid that I almost felt like I was living in the story. Must have required quite a bit of research to write it, too. A great find.

Journal Entry 8 by wingsakirmowing at Ranta-Kerttu in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, July 11, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (7/11/2020 UTC) at Ranta-Kerttu in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

At the meet-up

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 9 by wingPiikuwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, July 11, 2020
Sakirmo and pippis ”sold” this book to me at the meetup. Thank you sakirmo, I look forward to reading this.