corner corner The Girl from the Well

The Girl from the Well
by Rin Chupeco | Teens
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/28/2017

status (set by AlterEgoZoe): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 28, 2017

I couldn't resist this one when I saw it at Barnes and Noble. This creepy YA softcover appears to be inspired by Ring.

Later: while the book may have been inspired by that work (and others featuring a "stringy-haired ghost girl"), in-story it's purporting to be about the original onryō (vengeful spirit of a woman wronged) who inspired Ring {wry grin}. Here, Okiku has wandered the earth for centuries seeking vengeance - and in the process turns into a fearful foe of those who would abuse children. So, kind of a serial-killer killer, yes?

Then she encounters a boy with some strange tattoos on his skin, tattoos that seem to emante some kind of power. Tarquin has his own problems, and when Okiku tries to help him she finds herself up against a very powerful foe indeed.

Some really good, atmospheric scenes, whether in flashbacks from Okiku's past (where we learn how she became a vengeful ghost in the first place) or in the modern-day crimes and hauntings. And there are some truly horrifying crimes here, such that we're solidly on Okiku's side as she wreaks her own version of vengeance...

Will Okiku save Tark? Is there any chance that she can break out of the cycle of vengeance that has cursed her to remain earthbound, even as she frees other spirits to move on? Read and find out!

This volume has a preview of the sequel, The Suffering.

[There's a TV Tropes page on this book and its sequel.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 15, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (7/17/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this into the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, July 22, 2017

Took out of the otherwordly book box.

(Could the cover be more inspired by Samara/Sadako??)

Journal Entry 4 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, February 20, 2018

I really wanted to like this book, but couldn’t. The writing style was off putting, though I really liked Okiku as a character.

Journal Entry 5 by AlterEgoZoe at School of Visual and Performing Arts in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, February 26, 2018

Released 2 wks ago (2/26/2018 UTC) at School of Visual and Performing Arts in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

When he looked up again Tas had gone. Rising to join the others, he caught sight of something small and abandoned on the floor. "Tas you forgot your pipe." He picked it up and then saw words carved into the wood he had not seen before. Find the music, find the magic.
"Did you carve this?"
Tas did not turn. "Yes," he said, reluctantly. "I have to leave it."
"But, Tas, why?"
Tas squared his shoulders as though firming some resolve. But still he did not turn. "Because the shepherd said that it could only be used once. Thats why I can't get the pipe to play that song-or any song. I've used the magic." He took a deep breath and went on. "And he said that once I found the magic I had the pass the pipe on." he paused and then he did turn, a scamp's humor in his long brown eyes. "It's going to be a long winter. I'm going to leave it here for someone else to find."
"Snowsong" by Nancy Varian Berberick

Found a book? Find the magic! Welcome to BookCrossing!! If you are already a member, "Hello!", if you have only just found this lovely site, welcome!

Congratulations on finding a released BookCrossing book! You can now register on the site, if you want to. It's free to register, but of course you can remain anon. It's up to you!

If you do decide to join, please add me as your referring member, AlterEgoZoe. Thanks!

Most of all, enjoy the book, and enjoy BookCrossing!