The Hope Fault

by Tracy Farr | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bookworm76 of Chermside, Queensland Australia on 3/26/2017
Journal Entry 1 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Sunday, March 26, 2017
Iris’s family – her ex-husband with his new wife and baby; her son, and her best friend’s daughter – gather to pack up their holiday house. They are there for one last time, one last weekend, and one last party – but in the course of this weekend, their connections will be affirmed, and their frailties and secrets revealed – to the reader at least, if not to each other. The Hope Fault is a novel about extended family: about steps and exes and fairy godmothers; about parents and partners who are missing, and the people who replace them.

Taking along to the next bookcrossing meetup. If not picked up I will leave at an OBCZ

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, November 10, 2018
Picked up a "blind date" wrapped book at last night's dinner, based only on the description written on the plain brown wrapper.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, February 08, 2019
For about the first quarter of the book, I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it, but then it started to grab me. It's a weird story, told from multiple viewpoints and time periods (including a long section which steps rapidly backwards in time, which was surprisingly effective), and a lot of things are left unexplained, but it kept me reading way past my bedtime for a couple of nights, so that's got to be a good sign :-)

There's a theme of earthquakes and faultlines all the way through, including a mention of our own 2011 earthquake, but the author was just a couple of years too early to include the huge earthquake that actually involved the Hope Fault in 2016 - the book almost feels prophetic in its title (though it's a pretty safe bet that any significant fault line in NZ will eventually have a massive earthquake on it some day...)