The Heretic's Daughter: A Novel

by Kathleen Kent | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 3/25/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 25, 2017
I read - and loved!- another copy of this a few years ago, link here, so was very happy to find another copy for release. The author is a descendant of Martha Carrier, the main character in this wonderful historic novel.

Comments from earlier copy:

I absolutely loved it! I've lived within an hour's drive of Salem all my life and now realize how little I actually know about this terrible period in local history. Somehow, I found this book even more powerful than some of the classics about this time, such as Arthur Miller's The Crucible (which I've seen performed several times). It's inspired me to learn more; I've spent hours already reading online and have ordered some non-fiction about the witch trials as well.

Amazon:
Martha Carrier was one of the first women to be accused, tried and hanged as a witch in Salem, Massachusetts. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and willful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. Often at odds with one another, mother and daughter are forced to stand together against the escalating hysteria of the trials and the superstitious tyranny that led to the torture and imprisonment of more than 200 people accused of witchcraft. This is the story of Martha's courageous defiance and ultimate death, as told by the daughter who survived.

Kathleen Kent is a tenth generation descendent of Martha Carrier. She paints a haunting portrait, not just of Puritan New England, but also of one family's deep and abiding love in the face of fear and persecution.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 25, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (3/25/2017 UTC) at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA

Bringing to our local BookCrossing meetup. Hope it finds a new reader!

DEAR FINDER,

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 26, 2017
Unclaimed at meetup; will find it another home.

EDIT 8/22/17: Offering in bookstogive's General Literature VBB Round 18.

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, July 27, 2018
Unclaimed in two rounds of the VBB so this book is now available.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Little Free Library, 71 Holland St. in Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, February 08, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (2/8/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 71 Holland St. in Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Hope it finds a new reader!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!