We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

by Karen Joy Fowler | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 184668966X Global Overview for this book
Registered by tobysrus of Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on 3/25/2017
Journal Entry 1 by tobysrus from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 25, 2017
Picked up at the church bazaar especially for release. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 2 by tobysrus at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 25, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (3/25/2017 UTC) at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA

Will be released at the Boston Bookcrossing Meet-up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. If you are new to BookCrossing, when you join please indicate that you were referred by tobysrus. I hope that you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you are done reading.

I hope that you will enjoy the BookCrossing experience!

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, Boston has an active group of BookCrossers who meet monthly; the second Tuesday of the month at Panera Bread (1288 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge - Harvard Square, 2nd floor) 7 PM.

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 25, 2017
Picked up at the BookCrossing meetup. Thanks for sharing!

Always nice to see you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 24, 2018
Wow. I loved this and couldn't put it down. A thought-provoking story of the meaning of family, inspired by real events. Rosemary, the narrator, isn’t the same since the disappearance of her sister Fern. Once an annoyingly nonstop talker, she has become quite withdrawn, speaking little despite her impressive vocabulary. She also misses her older brother Lowell, who hasn’t been heard from in the ten years since he left home.

It’s hard to talk about this book without giving too much away, so I will instead list some of the new words I learned, courtesy of Rosemary:
oneiric (dreamy)
hypnagogic (of, relating to, or occurring in the period of drowsiness immediately preceding sleep)
hypnopompic (associated with the semiconsciousness preceding waking)

Noticing a pattern here!

Quotes I liked:
“The only way to make any sense of the United States Congress, my father told me once, is to view it as a two-hundred-year-long primate study.”
“Over the years I’ve come to feel that the way people respond to us has less to do with what we’ve done and more to do with who they are. Of course, it suits me to think that. All those people in junior high who were so mean to me? What unhappy people they must have been!”
“Conspiracy is folded into her DNA like egg whites into angel food cakes.”
“At dinner, I adopted my usual strategy of saying nothing. The spoken word converts individual knowledge into mutual knowledge, and there is no way back once you’ve gone over that cliff. Saying nothing was more amendable, and over time I’d come to see that it was usually your best course of action. I’d come to silence hard, but at fifteen I was a true believer.”

I can see why this was shortlisted for The Man Booker Price (2014). Highly recommended!

Back cover:
Rosemary doesn’t talk very much, and about certain things she’s silent. She had a sister, Fern, her whirlwind other half, who vanished from her life in circumstances she wishes she could forget. And it’s been ten years since she last saw her beloved older brother Lowell.

Now at college, Rosemary starts to see that she can’t go forward without going back, back to the time when, aged five, she was sent away from home to her grandparents and returned to find Fern gone.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 24, 2018

Released 12 mos ago (2/24/2018 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

To be released at the BookCrossing meetup. Hope this deserving book finds a new reader.

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Released for 2018 Head Shoulders Knees and Toes Challenge hosted by awaywithfairies, for the embedded "side".

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!