corner corner Titus Crow, Volume 1: The Burrowers Beneath; The Transition of Titus Crow

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 25, 2017

I found this slightly-battered softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, and as I've enjoyed Lumley's work in the past, and adore Lovecraftian references, I had to get this volume. It's an omnibus edition, including the first two "Titus Crow" books.

Later: OK, there are lots of fun elements here, from the coming-together of the researchers who've encountered evidence of Cthulhu-cult activities to the obligatory fragmentary-messages-of-doom. But Lumley's premise - or at least that of his main character - is that the powers of the Elder Gods are a kind of psychological influence, nothing magical or otherworldly, and that they can be fought, which turns the whole story into something quite different from Lovecraft's mythos. I also found the tales to drag a bit, making me wish for something tentacled to turn up and get things moving {wry grin}.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the "Titus Crow" series.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Celestial Way in Pepperell, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, February 04, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (2/4/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Celestial Way in Pepperell, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this grey Superbowl Sunday; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Great Backyard Bird Count release challenge. See this year's GBBC here. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Science Fiction release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes release challenge, for the embedded "tit" in the title. ***