Why Did You Lie?

by Yrsa Sigurdardottir | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by over-the-moon of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 3/21/2017
Journal Entry 1 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, March 21, 2017
from BookDepository, complete with bookmark to colour in.

Journal Entry 2 by over-the-moon at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, March 25, 2017
I only just finished this and am still shuddering with fear... or maybe it's just the cold.

Deliciously spooky. Each short chapter is fairly innocuous in itself, but there's always something worrying, or eerie, or frightening in the last lines, that make the book hard to put down.

We have in fact three separate strands of stories, jumping about in time (important to take in the dates at the head of each chapter). Then, somewhere about p. 250, you get an inkling that maybe the strands are beginning to plait together, and gradually the truth comes out - or does it? Even when the cover is closed over the last page, we are left with a spine-chilling sense of foreboding.

Not too keen on the title, otherwise an excellent, icy, read.

Released 1 yr ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

NSS table

Journal Entry 4 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Friday, April 21, 2017
A wishlist book. Thank you so much.

Journal Entry 5 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 20, 2017
What a cleverly written book, with a somewhat evil twist at the end. I loved the three separate stories and fortunately realised at the beginning that I needed to note the dates at the start of each chapter. However at first the only link between the stories seems to be a sense of fear and foreboding because in reality nothing actually happens in the first half of the book and you have this feeling mainly because of the prologue. As over-the-moon said, by page 250 the author is drip feeding you disturbing information that keeps you guessing. I loved linking the stories and for once didn’t get everyone muddled up but I was not expecting the final twist.

At first I had some trouble believing how little space there was on the lighthouse rock stack so I went searching online and found this video which I believe is the lighthouse in the book. I don’t envy the guys in the film who would have to cross the rocks from the helipad (hope the link works).

Journal Entry 6 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 11, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (12/11/2017 UTC) at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom

I am selecting this book for the Favourites roundabout 2017.

1 Dark-Draco (UK)
9 JudySlump612 (USA)
10 Mathgirl40 (Canada)
11 Lamilla (Belarus)
And back to me, please

Journal Entry 7 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 15, 2017
Received - thank you :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 11, 2018
What a fantastic start to the roundabout - an author I've never heard of and a bloody good read :)

When I first started reading, I began to get a bit frustrated with how slow the pace was - the three storylines seemed to meander about and despite vague veiled threats, nothing actually seems to happen. But slowly and surely, I found myself thinking about the book when I wasn't reading it and then there was the night I got a bit nervous about going downstairs in the dark. I read a lot of horror novels and it takes a lot to scare me, but this had well and truly gotten under my skin. This is the first book I have EVER read that deserves the title 'thriller' - or maybe that should be 'chiller'?

For me it didn't quite get full marks for only two slight reasons. The first was the character of Orvar - somehow he just didn't seem believable to me and I'm not convinced his attitude and actions were really explained by the end. Which is the other thing I was slightly let down by. I don't mind twists and turns in a novel, but again, I'm not convinced there were any real clues as to the 'bad guys' identity. Maybe I just missed them, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind re-reading this to try and spot them.

A surprisingly good read - I look forward to tracking down more by this author.

PS. The picture is off the actual sea stack where a lot of the action takes place - how small is that place?!?!

Journal Entry 9 by wingdark-dracowing at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, January 29, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/29/2018 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next recipient of the 'Favourite Book of 2017' Book Roundabout.

Journal Entry 10 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, February 05, 2018
Received, thank you dark-draco.

Will start today...

Journal Entry 11 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, February 21, 2018
My first book by this author and I just love the names and setting in Iceland. Quite enjoyable and with a little bit of spooky suspense - just enough to keep you going. Loved the end as it doesn't really end...

Journal Entry 12 by wingestelle1806wing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Monday, February 26, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/26/2018 UTC) at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

This is earthcaroleanne's choice for the Favourite Book of 2017 Book Roundabout, travelling to Finland for March 2018.

Hope you like it...

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 13 by bookwormess at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Thank, the book arrived today with a teabag, some BC stickers and another wonderful bookmark. I love reading the comments of a book I receive!

This one looks interesting, I was quite thrilled to find some Nordic Noir from the envelope. The best thing about this roundabout is that you don't know what you'll get and you will most likely get books from many genres.

Journal Entry 14 by bookwormess at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Thursday, May 03, 2018
Just wanted to let you know the book isn’t forgotten, I’ve just been way too busy with mu studies and work. Started reading it couple of days ago and I must say it’s quite spooky! I’ve been spooked by my cat couple of times now... Can’t wait to see what happens near page 250.

Journal Entry 15 by bookwormess at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Monday, May 14, 2018
Oh my. Oh my! This was good one, definitely a chiller as dark-draco named it. In the beginning it got me quite spooked, but when the story unravelled all things made a bit more sense. I sort of loved the way details were given in very small amounts, it made the puzzle even harder - I think I suspected pretty much everyone, even the one who did it all in the end. Loved the end, even as I hate it when things are left open. But I wouldn't have had it any other way for this book.

I noticed that I was reading it quite slowly, maybe it was that subconsciously I didn't wan't to miss anything, but I also felt that the choice of several words in the translation were a bit odd. I actually had to check some from the dictionary, which is something I rarely need to do.

Just a friendly tip: don't read this one in a cottage after dark...

Journal Entry 16 by bookwormess at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Thursday, May 17, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (5/16/2018 UTC) at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

The book will travel to Fifna along with some goodies. Enjoy the book!

*********************
Congratulations, you've found a book I've released in the wild. It's yours now - you can keep it, give to someone you know or release it back in the wild. Thank you for letting me know you've found it! If you want, you're welcome to join Bookcrossing.com. :)

Journal Entry 17 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, May 27, 2018
Arrived safely, thanks bookwormess! And thank you for the sweets you included. The envelop was torn and the first couple of pages of the book look like they have got wet and then dried up a bit crinkly, but apart from that it looks fine. I've started reading already!

Journal Entry 18 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, July 07, 2018
A very atmospheric and chilling story, and one that leaves you with a feeling of unease. Very good indeed and a great pick for the roundabout. Thanks for sharing. I'll be handing the book to marsala at the annual meetup in Castricum tomorrow.

Journal Entry 19 by wingFifnawing at Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, July 07, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (7/8/2018 UTC) at Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Taking it to the meetup in Castricum to give to marsala.

Journal Entry 20 by marsala at Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, July 08, 2018
Thank you so much Fifna, it was nice seeing you again.

I must say i'm not the biggest fan of crime/thriller books, but I do love that it is set in Iceland. Let's hope I'm brave enough to read the book.

Journal Entry 21 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, August 23, 2018
And the book is now with me, thank you marsala for sending it.

Journal Entry 22 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, August 30, 2018
Thank you for the video earthcaroleanne. I thank that the place was even smaller. Not the best part for me.
I'm a great fan of mystery and thrillers. I can't say I really appreciated this one. The characters aren't very lovable. I love twists in stories but frankly here I should have to reread all the book to be convinced about the bad guy.

Journal Entry 23 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, September 10, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (9/10/2018 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On the mail to weeder. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 24 by wingweederwing at Worthington, Ohio USA on Tuesday, September 18, 2018
This book arrived in my mailbox in very good condition. I don't think I've ever read a book translated from Icelandic so this will be an interesting read for me.

Journal Entry 25 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, October 01, 2018
Arrived today (or Friday or Saturday - I was out of town so I'm not sure!), as did dark-drako's book. As soon as I finish my current read I'll be diving in!

Journal Entry 26 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, November 10, 2018
I apologize for taking so long to read this, I was on vacation for a week and thought I'd get lots of reading done but ended not reading at all! And then the next two weeks I was so slammed at work I didn't get any reading breaks and came home to exhausted to concentrate. But this week I finally had some time, and I finished this last night, and I quite liked it! Not sure how I feel about the ending though. Everyone else has pretty much summed up most of my thoughts already, so I won't go into detail, but in case you're interested my full review is here.

Thanks for sharing this book, earthcaroleanne, and the link! I just wish the video had been longer!

I'll get this mailed out to the next participant Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here).

Journal Entry 27 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/13/2018 UTC) at Moore, Oklahoma USA

Off to JudySlump612.

Journal Entry 28 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, November 17, 2018
This looks terrific - thank you for sharing it, earthcaroleanne!

Journal Entry 29 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, December 10, 2018
Wow - another book that I would never have read if not for the 'Favourite Book' roundabout, that was just amazing! I found the plotting and characters especially brilliant.

Although, I agree with dark-draco that there were no buried clues to the killer's identity for us to spot in hindsight. In fact, I argue that there is one sentence which is not just misleading, but makes an untrue statement about what the killer is doing at a key time. So I deducted one star from the rating.

Bookwormess mentioned some unusual words in the translation, and again, I agree. The translation was evidently rather free, and into a colloquial British English. As a result, it was very fluid and easy to read. But I wonder what original Icelandic words were replaced, for example, by 'git,' 'yob,' and 'tosser.' Still, I discovered online that Victoria Cribb is one of the most famous and popular translators from Icelandic, so the authors clearly like how she handles their work.

And this book used just about the best mystery setting I can possibly imagine. Thank you, earthcaroleanne, for the link to the lighthouse rock. Even the scene on a clear and balmy day, with the tiny space and sheer cliffs, made my stomach clench with acrophobia. Sigurdardottir does an incredible job in her description of a January blizzard, making us taste the salt spray, hear the rattle of the lighthouse windows, and feel the punishing wind. Can it get scarier? Yes, the characters know they'll be marooned at least an extra day by mechanical trouble in the helicopter that carried them, and have to worry about dwindling food and water supplies. Can it get still scarier? Oh my, yes!

Journal Entry 30 by wingJudySlump612wing at By Mail, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 10, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/10/2018 UTC) at By Mail, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to Mathgirl40 for the Favourite Book of 2017 Roundabout.

Journal Entry 31 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 19, 2018
Received today! Thanks, JudySlump612. It looks like the Canada Post strikes didn't cause much of a delay. I love mysteries so am looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 32 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 09, 2019
I found this atmospheric thriller extremely hard to put down once I started reading it. At first, I found the slightly out-of-sync time-frames of the three stories disconcerting, but of course, as I neared the end of the book, it all started making sense. The characters were great and the conclusion unexpected.

Thanks, earthcaroleanne, for offering the book and also providing the link to the video. The setting really is as cramped and frightening as the author suggests!

Journal Entry 33 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (1/9/2019 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to Lamilla, the final participant of this roundabout.

Journal Entry 34 by wingLamillawing at Minsk, anywhere Belarus on Wednesday, February 06, 2019
Received today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 35 by wingLamillawing at Minsk, anywhere Belarus on Friday, March 15, 2019
Is going back to earthcaroleanne once I'm done with it